Are you part of the 4%? The 4% of Americans, that is, who believe that shape-shifting reptilian people control our world by taking on human form and gaining political power to manipulate our societies? If you're not, you may be a touch aghast by the (still low) number. But according to a new poll from Public Policy Polling, the conspiracy theorists are strong among us.
In a survey of 1,247 registered American voters from March 27-30 (conducted through automated telephone interviews), Public Policy Polling discovered some choice nuggets among the things we do and do not believe. Some highlights from the survey (pdf).
- Did we ever really land on the moon? 7% of those surveyed said they thought Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took not one giant leap.
- Is Osama bin Laden still out there? Well, the vast majority of respondents here thought not. But 11% aren't quite sure.
- Was the CIA "instrumental" in dealing crack cocaine into America's inner cities in the 1980s? 14% of respondents say yes.
- Does the media or government add "secret mind-controlling technology" to television broadcasts? 15% of those surveyed think Brian Williams and the rest are up to something more nefarious than just delivering the nightly news.
- Do you believe President Barack Obama is theanti-Christ, or not?Do you think President Obama is the antichrist? 13% of registered American voters surveyed think so while another 13% are not sure.
The polling firm didn't stop with the more outlandish beliefs, however. The survey also covered some political conspiracy theories that are a bit more in the mainstream.
- Do you believe the Bush administration intentionally misled the U.S. about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq to promote the war? 44% of respondents said yes; 45% said no.
- Do you believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11? 28% of respondents thought he was, while 51% thought he wasn't.
- Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy? Only 25% of those surveyed thought he acted alone. 51% thought there was a larger conspiracy.
- Is global warming a hoax? 37% of respondents said it is, 51% think it is not.
- And, of course: Do you believe that a "secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order?" Surprisingly, 28% of those surveyed said yes. This includes a plurality (38%) of people who voted for Mitt Romney in 2012.
- Politics & Government
- Public Policy Polling