While this week marked the beginning of baseball's World Series, there was another world series of sorts going on -- in the tech world. The giants of the computing industry, Microsoft and Apple, competed for holiday shoppers' attention by releasing a flurry of new products. (Note: There were no tigers in the "tech world series," only giants.)
In case you were busy with work, play or other, we've compiled all the Mashable stories from the previous week that include information about digital products and resources. In addition to the details on new gadgets, with blockbuster movies like Lincoln and The Hobbit on the horizon, we found a must-have app that tells you the best times to use the bathroom during a movie.
[More from Mashable: 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week]
As always, the roundup includes the latest social media tutorials, online resources for businesses and enriching digital lifestyle developments. It's all about the Internet, and we're breaking it down for your benefit and enjoyment. Here's what we came up with this week:
- Everything You Need to Know About Apple's New Products From the iPad Mini and iPad 4 to a razor-thin iMac, an iBooks 3 app and an updated Mac mini, here's a look at what was announced at this week's Apple event.
- RunPee App Ensures You'll Never Miss Big Scenes at the Movies [VIDEO] The beauty of watching a movie in your home? You can pause it at any time -- to make a trip to the bathroom, maybe have a snack, or take a phone call. Not so in a movie theater.
- Everything You Need to Know About Windows 8 The operating system is a complete reimagining of the Windows OS and sports an entirely different look from its predecessor.
- Bing Releases 'One-Stop-Shop' for Election 2012 Info Microsoft Bing has released Bing Elections, a one-stop-shop for voting info.
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Dropbox Could Do Between hosting webpages and emailing files straight to your folders, there's a lot you can do with Dropbox that you never knew before.
- Pheed Wants to Take On the Giants of Social Media New social media site Pheed is an ultimate mashup of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram but with a hefty business plan to match.
- Get The New YouTube Design With This Google Chrome Extension A Google Chrome extension will allow you to get the newest YouTube design right away.
- Facebook, Twitter Help Teens Develop, Says Study [VIDEO] A recent study shows teen interactions on social media networks are growing more intimate, personal and affecting youth development.
- How Social Media Is Introducing NBA Fans to a Budding Star Damian Lillard wasn't a highly touted high school player and he didn't attend a powerhouse college program like Duke or Kentucky. But the kid. Can. Ball.
- 6 Ways to Download Tagged Photos and Albums From Facebook Use these six online tools to download tagged Facebook photos for safekeeping.
[More from Mashable: Tech Execs Headed to White House for Fiscal Cliff Meeting]
Business & Marketing
- 8 Tips to Negotiate a Higher Salary A paycheck is one of the most important elements of a job. Here are eight ways to negotiate your way to a better salary.
- Top Hat Monocle Transforms Tech From Classroom Distraction into Teaching Tool Top Hat Monocle transforms tablets and smartphones from classroom distractions into teaching tools.
- 5 Tips to Get Your Emails Read We all send and receive a lot of email; here's how to make yours stand out.
- Why Are Mobile Ads So Cheap? Mobile may be the future, but right now, mobile ad units still command a lower average price than print and web advertisements. Here's why.
- Brands Can Now Buy Video Ads on LinkedIn LinkedIn is rolling out global video advertising, the professional social network announced Tuesday.
- Glocal Wants to Be the Hulu of Local News Videos Forget the six o'clock news -- Glocal wants to be your all-in-one distribution channel for local and national news videos online.
- 5 Brands That Understand Marketing on Instagram For inspiration on how to get started marketing on Instagram, check out how these five brands are already leveraging the platform.
- Veteran Game Journalists Unite to Launch Vox's 'Polygon' Gaming website Polygon launches Thursday, as part of Vox Media's sites.
- Tradeo Is a Social Network for Financial Traders Called Tradeo, the service allows users to access data feeds and analytics, monitor sentiment across the community, and execute trades online.
- Chirpify Offers Instant Buying on Instagram, Twitter Chirpify is a seamless payment system for social commerce that powers buying and selling on Twitter.
- Snoop on Competitors' Online Deals With This App Perch gives small businesses a local merchant's view of the competitive market -- every tweet, pin or Facebook post by competitors is fed into the app.
Tech & Mobile
- 3 Great Bargains You Can Buy Right Now There are good deals online. We scoured the web for three hot deals that are live right now.
- 3 Celebrity Hacks to Learn From What information you choose to share and on which device is an important consideration, no matter what your popularity level.
- App Transfers iTunes Songs to Spotify in Seconds The app M2S for Spotify is terrific -- it's highly recommended.
- Popular Android Apps Leaking Private Password, Credit Card Data Here's some bad news for Android users: Various apps are leaking sensitive data, from credit card information to passwords.
- Microsoft Sweetens Surface Deal, Offers Free Xbox Music at Retail Stores As part of Friday's launch event, the first 100 people in line at any Microsoft retail store were eligible for the free Xbox Music Pass.
- New Office Web Apps Go Live on SkyDrive The updated versions of Office Web Apps, available as preview since July, are now available for SkyDrive and Outlook.com users.
- Nokia's Lumia 510 Is the Cheapest Lumia Yet Nokia has launched the most affordable phone in its Lumia lineup, the Lumia 510.
- 9 Sites With Killer Search Functionality Ecommerce sites and web archives are upholding an enviable standard of search, by customizing results based on individual consumer tastes.
- Headband Lets You Control Devices With Your Brain The Muse headband is currently seeking funding on Indiegogo to bring brain-controlled computing to the mass market.
- Asus Steals Surface's Thunder With Its Own Windows RT Tablet Look out Microsoft Surface, there's another Windows tablet in town: the Asus Vivo Tab RT.
- See How The iPad Mini Stacks Up Against Competitors Here’s a helpful chart that will help you decide which tablet to purchase.
- Apple iPad Mini is a One-Handed Wonder [HANDS-ON] The new Apple iPad Mini is lighter, faster and pleasingly smaller than the iPad 3.
- Apple Store May Upgrade Your iPad -- if You Bought in the Last Month Apple is apparently trying to make amends with free iPad 3 to 4 upgrades -- at least, if you bought your iPad in the last 30 days.
- Headphones Inspired by Bob Marley Now Available House of Marley's new headphone models are organic, recyclable and offer a deep bass driver, going down to 10 Hertz.
- Surface Is a Tablet Windows Users Will Love [REVIEW] Microsoft Surface is more touchscreen PC than tablet, but that's okay for Windows fans.
- Look Out, Siri -- Dragon Speech Recognition App Now on Android Nuance Dragon, a line of speech-recognition software products, debuted its beta app for Android Wednesday.
- Samsung Galaxy Note II: A Giant Phone That Grows on You [REVIEW] The Samsung Galaxy Note II has a large 5.6-inch screen. But don't let that scare you -- it can do things other smartphones can't.
- The Beginner’s Guide to CSS The beauty of Cascading Style Sheets, or CSS, is that they make implementing design-work onto a website super-simple.
- Skype 6.0 Unveils Microsoft, Facebook Integration in Update Skype released a new version of its desktop VoIP client, Skype 6.0 for Mac and Windows.
- Box Launches Windows 8 Version Box has officially launched its Windows 8 app.
- Fan Hack Turns 'Super Mario 64' Into 2-Player Game A hack released Wednesday allows two players to explore the massive world of Super Mario 64 together.
- The AR.Drone 2.0 Is the Ultimate Gift for Flight Nerds Give the gift of flight. This smartphone-controlled quadricopter can take your loved one to new heights this holiday season.
- These Cheap Headphones Will Knock Your Socks Off The RHA SA 950i headphones set themselves apart with a triple punch: They're relatively cheap at $59.95, they're feather-light, and they sound great.
- Build an Amplifying Speaker Out of a Pringles Can Here's how to create a DIY amplifying phone speaker out of a Pringles can and common household items.
- One Headset to Rule Your Computer and Mobile Phone Every once in a while, a gadget comes along that solves a problem that was just starting to get annoying.
- 'Undroppable' Producers Embark on Tour to Teach Students Politics [VIDEO] Producers of the social media-driven education web series and documentary "Undroppable" will embark on a nationwide tour to help inform high school students about political topics ahead of the election.
- 5 Free Android Apps to Help You Survive Black Friday Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year. If you’re willing to brave the early-morning doorbuster lines and crowds, then here are a few Android apps from Google Play to help you survive and succeed.
- 5 Apps That Help you Shop for Healthier Foods Here are 5 apps designed to help you cook and shop for a healthy lifestyle.
- The Best Places to Sell Your Third Generation iPad Sure, your third-generation iPad is great and all, but after Tuesday's announcement of Apple's iPad Mini and iPad 4, perhaps you wish you could trade-up.
- This Android Phone is Tailor-Made for Visually Impaired People [VIDEO] If you're visually impaired, or know someone who is, a new smartphone is being made for your needs.
- 9 Ways to Recycle Your iPad Whether you're upgrading your iPad or looking for something new, you can reuse your Apple products for everyday purposes.
- Alicia Keys Unleashes Interactive Storytelling App for Families [VIDEO] Singer/songwriter and mother Alicia Keys just released a 3D animated storytelling app full of gaming elements and original music.
- Dress Your iPad Mini in These Swanky Cases Apple's iPad Mini is set to hit stores on Nov. 2. Check out some of these cases designed exclusively for the new tablet.
- Schoolyard Helps Student Groups Crowdfund Donations From Alumni Schoolyard helps raise funds by connecting students and alumni through student organizations.
- Is This the Slimmest iPhone Case Ever? Slimline is an iPhone case that simplifies the protection of your phone.
- 5 Halloween Tech Tricks and Treats Check out these 5 digital alternatives to candy for your kids for Halloween. Just as spooky, only less sugar!
- App Turns Smartphone Into a Sex Toy for Couples A new app allows men to control a woman's vibrator from afar, allowing couples to keep intimacy alive even when out of town.
Image courtesy of Flickr, j&tplaman
Get Your Tickets to Mashable Media Summit
The Mashable Media Summit 2012 will explore the impact that technology is having on media, and how digital media is affecting our lives and changing the world. This one-day conference will bring together the brightest minds in media, including content creators, technology leaders, entrepreneurs, social media executives and journalists.
Date: Friday, Nov. 2, 2012
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: The TimesCenter, 242 West 41st Street, New York, NY 10036
Tickets: Purchase early bird tickets on Eventbrite.
A Look Back at Last Year's Mashable Media Summit
Media Summit 2011
The Mashable Media Summit on Nov. 4 at the Times Center in New York City attracted professionals in digital, tech, advertising, sales, marketing, mobile and publishing from all over the world.
A limited number of sponsor opportunities are available for the Mashable Media Summit. This is an excellent opportunity to get in front of Mashable’s passionate and influential audience. Contact email@example.com for opportunities.
This story originally published on Mashable here.
- Technology & Electronics
- Arts & Entertainment
- social media
- Social Media
- social media
- social media
- social media