We're sure you spent most of the week talking to invisible presidents in a chair -- in true Clint Eastwood style -- so we don't blame you for missing out on all the digital resources and news that unfolded in the past few days.
[More from Mashable: Linkin Park Music Video Puts Your Facebook Photos in Emotional Tale]
Meanwhile, millions of students are heading back into the classroom. We know that's a stressful time for both students and parents, so our resources list is overflowing with organization, productivity and learning apps for kids of any age and grade level.
[More from Mashable: 12 Most Cliché Photos on Instagram]
So don't stress for letting the Republican National Convention and Tropical Storm Issac dominate your news feeds and attention, because we've gathered the must-see apps, tools and sites that will get you up to speed in no time.
- 8 Tricks for Reducing Computer-Related Eye Strain Computer-related eye strain is the price you have to pay for being a workaholic. Here are 8 tips and tricks to protect your eyes.
- 5 Great Gadgets for Latchkey Kids From kid-friendly cellphones to smart door locks that will alert you when they get home, we found innovative solutions for kids who have to stay home alone.
- How to Set Up the Best Workspace for Homework Here are the five main components of setting up a home technology workspace for students of all ages.
- 5 Tips for Delicious Food Photos Here’s how to make your camera phone food photos look tastier.
- Watch Out for This Sneaky Facebook Scam Disguised as a Photo Notification The next time Facebook sends you an email about a friend tagging you in a new picture, be cautious -- it could be a trap from hackers.
- Students, Here’s How to Kick-Start Your Personal Brand Online Your online presence is the new resume. Career experts explain when and how students should start thinking about their personal branding.
- 6 Fantastic To-Do Apps for Getting Organized Check out this roundup of six to-do lists apps, separated by work style, to find your perfect match.
- 9 Gmail Plugins to Revive Your Productivity Email is a beast. Take control with these handy plugins.
- Getting Rid of Your Old iPhone 4S? Apple Will Pay You For It Looking to offset the cost of upgrading? If you own an iPhone 4S, then you're in luck.
- Is This the Worst Brand Page on Facebook? Facebook brand pages, when they aren't managed well, are incredibly annoying -- as an anonymous Facebook user's parody page shows.
- Talkwheel Helps Journalists Engage Readers on Facebook Talkwheel is a new tool that promises to keep the conversation between journalists and readers flowing with minimal time commitment.
- Facebook-Syncing Dating Site Takes on Social Discovery SNAP Interactive is re-launching its Facebook-synced dating site AreYouInterested.com as a social discovery website.
- Should You Break Up With Pinterest for LoveIt? LoveIt is a platform where you can discover, collect, organize and share images of -- you guessed it -- things you love.
- 10 More Celebrities to Follow on Pinterest Here’s a quick-and-dirty guide to unfriending, plus a few alternatives that may solve the problem while protecting your offline relationship.
- Facebook Etiquette: How Do I Unfriend Someone? These celebs are worth a Pinterest follow for the unique and fun photos they love to post.
- Twitter Launches Certified Products Program Twitter launched a new certified products platform Wednesday for 12 different partners.
- Twitter’s Promoted Tweets Are Now Targeted Based on Your Interests Twitter launched interest-targeting Thursday for promoted tweets.
- You Can Now Bing Search Your Friends’ Facebook Photos You can now search your Facebook photos and those of your Facebook friends, once you authorize the Bing app.
- 18 Facebook Users You Should Subscribe To Freshen up your Facebook intake with a little help from the country's most innovative thought leaders, entrepreneurs and journalists.
- How to Host Your Own ‘Ask Me Anything’ on Reddit Learn more about the tools Reddit offers and how you can use them.
Business & Marketing
- Job Seeking? Yelp and 200+ More Are Hiring We've rounded up the best jobs posted on Mashable's job board that are perfect for Mashable readers. From public relations to software engineers, you're sure to find a position that's a fit for you.
- 10 Must-Have Tools for Entrepreneurs The entrepreneur's toolkit should help founders boost efficiency while dealing with the myriad tasks at hand. These 10 tools will do the trick.
- 4 Common Website Design Mistakes to Avoid Don't fall into these pitfalls when trying to create a memorable and user-friendly website.
- So You Want to Be an App Developer? Here’s How [INFOGRAPHIC] This infographic shows the common, helpful and progressive steps you need to turn your great kernel of an app idea into reality.
- Google+ Launches Tools for Businesses Google released a suite of free business tools for Google+ users on Wednesday.
- Schedule School, Nonprofit Volunteers with VolunteerSpot VolunteerSpot is a site that offers free tools to anyone organizing a volunteer project. There's no software to install, or approvals to wait for.
- Goalee Courts Professionals Like Online Dating For the Business World Goalee connects professionals based on more than just experience. See if it will benefit you.
- 3 Parts of a Patent Every Startup Should Know About Many tech startups make the mistake of not actively seeking patent protections for unique technology or processes, so here's what you should know from the start.
- This Is Where Social Fashionistas Go to Shop Roozt is an ecommerce site for cause-related brands. Essentially, it’s the Etsy for social entrepreneurs.
- Network and Learn at These 40+ Social Media Events Ready to network, learn and mingle with fellow professionals in the social media space? Look no further.
- 5 New Ways to Improve Your Facebook EdgeRank Brands have learned that success with a page isn’t just about fan numbers. EdgeRank is a key component. Here's how to make yours better.
- How to Get Brands and Agencies to Use Your Startup If you want a brand or agency to leverage your startup, then you need to focus on specific product criteria and certain business development techniques. And here's how to do that.
- 5 Business Travel Problems and Their Tech Solutions Unfortunately, even the most seasoned road warrior can run into hurdles when traveling for business. Here are five common challenges facing business travelers and technology solutions that can help alleviate these issues and keep travelers productive.
- 4 Mobile Apps to Simplify Your Job Search Looking for a job is undoubtably one of the most stressful times in a person's life. These four apps can help.
Tech & Mobile
- 5 iPhone Apps That Run Google Talk Here are five apps to use Google Talk and other instant messaging services on your iPhone.
- Get Credit for All Your Instagram Photos A new service called Picmo wants to make sure you get credit for all those images shot to vintage perfection.
- 4 Mobile Gaming Behaviors You Need to Stop If you're an avid mobile game player, you could easily fall victim to annoying gaming habits. Find out if you're "that guy" (or gal).
- Parallels 8 Forces Mountain Lion and Windows 8 to Play Nice The new version of Parallels brings many of Mountain Lion's new features, such as dictation and notifications, to Windows apps.
- LevelUp Is First Mobile Payment App to Let You Give Back While Paying LevelUp launched Causes Thursday, becoming the first mobile payment ecosystem to integrate charitable giving.
- 7 Fantasy Football Apps to Up Your Game The right fantasy football app just might be the key to a championship season. Here are seven top picks.
- How to Find the Perfect Podcast for You Whether you are new to the world of podcasts or an old pro, it can be both overwhelming and exciting to find a consistent favorite, so we made the process a little easier.
- App Turns Dull Employee Training Into a Game True Office is a company that leverages mobile apps to turn compliance testing into a game-like experience.
- 10 Must-Have Apps for Successful High School Students A high school student's plate isn't just filled with classes, but also tons of extracurriculars. Turn to your phone or tablet and these 10 must-have apps to manage the load.
- Startup Makes Doctors Accessible By Phone, Email Sherpaa connects its members to a network of doctors available around the clock, over the phone or email.
- Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor on InstaEDU The pool of tutors available to teach high school and college-aged students just became a whole lot larger.
- 10 Charming iPhone Cases for Kids Whether you seek drop protection, spit protection or interactive playfulness, we think you'll find a case in our roundup to suit.
- Prepare for Isaac With Google Crisis Map Google launched a "Tropical Storm Isaac Crisis Map" to make storm-tracking easier.
- Use These 10 Sites to Detect Plagiarism Plagiarism is a serious offense. These 10 online services help you check students' text, or avoid getting into academic hot water yourself.
- Breathe a Sigh of Relief With These 10 Parenting Apps These 10 apps are guaranteed to make a parent's life more manageable.
- 6 Fitness Tools You Need to Know We've rounded up apps and services that make fitness awesome, whether you live by workouts or are just dipping your toes in.
- This App Turns Smartphones Into Safe Driving Tools Multitasking is often an efficient way to get lots of tasks accomplished -- but not while driving. This app will keep you safe on the road.
- Trouble Sleeping? Your Tablet or Smartphone Could Be to Blame Two or more hours of exposure to backlit devices like tablets suppresses melatonin and won't let you rest.
- Etsy Announces Gift Cards Next time you're buying a funky hand-stitched pillow or one-of-a-kind print on Etsy, you can now also buy a gift card at check-out.
- Virgin Airlines Will Give Its Most Frequent Flyer a Free Trip Into Space Forget about upgrading to first class, Virgin is offering frequent fliers the chance to upgrade to a flight into space.
- 7 Fantastic Calendar Apps To Keep You on Schedule Whether you use a calendar to keep up with schoolwork or important business appointments, you can use apps to help keep track of everything.
- Google Maps for Android Adds Half a Billion Meters of Bike Paths If you’re an avid biker with an Android smartphone, you’re in luck. Google Maps it’s adding mobile biking directions and navigation for 10 countries.
- YouTube to Stream London Summer Paralympics Live YouTube announced Friday that it would stream the Paralympic Games live, bringing coverage to viewers in the U.S. and Canada.
- Get Organized With These 5 Handy YouTube Channels Whether you're someone who needs help organizing, or you just wish everything was a little tidier, check out these helpful YouTube channels.
- Keep Your Style Sustainable With This Online Retailer Modavanti is an online retailer that features eco-friendly fashion.
Image courtesy of iStockphoto
This story originally published on Mashable here.