Real time curation and analysis from The Week's Scott Meslow
It's safe to say that the Golden Globes — which will air on NBC tonight at 8 p.m. EST — don't generally garner the breathless, serious-minded analysis that characterizes next month's Academy Awards. But in recent years, the ceremony has turned its loose, boozy informality into a strength, and this year's brilliant decision to bring on Tina Fey and Amy Poehler as co-hosts — seriously, are there any two people more beloved in Hollywood right now? — has made tonight's 70th annual ceremony the most anticipated Golden Globes telecast in ages.
Tonight, The Week will be here to chronicle the evening's highlights, starting with red carpet coverage at roughly 7:30 p.m., and continuing until the end of the show. Refresh this page for the latest updates, analysis, and humor, and tweet @TheWeek and @ScottMeslow to join the conversation as it's happening. (And stick around after the show, when I'll team up with audience development manager Jess Hullinger to award a few Golden Globes of our own.)
7:36 p.m.: "22 and a half minutes to go!" says Matt Lauer through gritted teeth.
7:34 p.m.: Adele says "many people have risen and fallen" after recording Bond themes. Lulu is out there somewhere, weeping.
7:30 p.m.: Welcome! I'm Scott Meslow, entertainment editor at TheWeek.com and your host for the evening. Before the ceremony starts, a few links worth checking out:
1. Read the full list of nominees at the official Golden Globes website.
2. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler offer an offbeat Golden Globes drinking game (sample rule: "Eat a meatball sandwich any time someone thanks Harvey Weinstein")
3. The Week's own Catherine Garcia counts down seven of the most cringe-inducing moments in Golden Globe History.
Other stories from this section:
- 6 ways HBO's Girls could improve in its second season
- Gangster Squad: 5 reasons it's a huge disappointment
- 2013 Academy Awards nominations: 6 surprising Oscar snubs
- EssayThe last word: He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Tina Fey
- Golden Globes