Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
One of the first things budding chefs learn to master is the grilled cheese sandwich. Its easy preparation is exceeded only by its boundless possibilities for variation. In fact, grilled cheese sandwiches are so popular and so versatile, entire restaurants have sprung up focusing on this simple, yet classic treat.
Did you know …?
* Americans make 2.2 billion homemade grilled cheese sandwiches each year.
* The two most popular cheeses for grilled cheese sandwiches are American and cheddar.
* Grilled cheese is the favorite sandwich of 30 percent of Americans.
* The most common addition to grilled cheese sandwiches is tomato, followed by ham or bacon.
Today is "Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day." You can celebrate by trying one of these tasty combinations from Yahoo! Shine.
Big Wind Day
On April 12, 1934, the "highest natural surface wind velocity ever officially recorded by means of an anemometer, anywhere in the world" was recorded on Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
Alex McKenzie, author of "The Way It Was," recorded that record-setting wind speed of 231 mph. Even now, nearly 80 years later, that measurement remains a global record.
To commemorate that momentous breeze, today is "Big Wind Day." You can celebrate by gathering the family to watch the 1996 action thriller "Twister," starring Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt. Check out the details on Yahoo! Movies.
Russian Cosmonaut Day
Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space. On April 12, 1961, Gagarin took flight in his Vostok I spacecraft for a 108-minute orbit. That momentous flight sparked a space race that would continue for the next 14 years.
Here are some other interesting Space Race facts:
* Alan Shephard launched into space in May of 1961 for a flight that last approximately 15 minutes.
* American astronaut Ed White was the first man to walk in space in June of 1965.
* Wally Schirra was one of America's most experienced astronauts. He flew on Mercury 6, Gemini 6 and Apollo 7.
Today is "Russian Cosmonaut Day." You can celebrate by watching the 1995 action adventure film "Apollo 13," with the all-star cast of Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris and Kathleen Quinlan. You can check out the details on Yahoo! Movies.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich