MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — Bahrain's government says it has begun giving compensation to the families of some of those killed in the country's unrest.
A statement Tuesday from the Gulf nation's Information Affairs Authority says a total of $2.6 million has been paid out to families of 17 victims so far. The statement quotes Judge Khalid Hassan Ajaji, a Justice Ministry official. Ajaji says payments began in March.
The statement did not name the recipients.
Last September, Bahrain's king ordered the creation of a fund to compensate victims of the Arab Spring-inspired unrest that broke out in February 2011.
At least 50 people have been killed since the violence began in the strategic island nation, home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet. Many were protesters, but security forces were also among the dead.