The Cutline
  • All through the time that New York prosecutors called her credibility into question and the media was casting further aspersions on her reputation, the maid who claims French political power player Dominique Strauss-Kahn sexually assaulted her in a Manhattan hotel room in May kept her identity shielded from public view.

    But now the embattled accuser--whose name is Nafissatou Diallo--has spoken publicly for the first time since her alleged assault in a pair of exclusives for Newsweek and ABC.

    Diallo shared her tale with Christopher Dickey and John Solomon for the latest issue of Newsweek, which hit stands Monday.

    She is "not glamorous," they write, in what appears to be the first narrative description of the 32-year-old Guinean immigrant. "Her light-brown skin is pitted with what look like faint acne scars, and her dark hair is hennaed, straightened, and worn flat to her head, but she has a womanly, statuesque figure. ... Diallo cannot read or write in any language; she has few 'close friends.' "

    She also outlined her allegations in lurid detail for the magazine. "He pulls me hard to the bed," she recalled. "I push him. I get up. I wanted to scare him."

    Diallo also spoke with ABC's Brian Roberts in an interview that aired in part on Monday's "Good Morning America" and will continue to roll out on this evening's "World News with Diane Sawyer" and Tuesday's "Nightline."

    "I want justice. I want him to go to jail," she said. "I want him to know that there is some places you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power when you do something like this." You can watch a video of the "Good Morning America" segment below:

    Read More »from DSK accuser goes public in high-profile Newsweek, ABC News ‘exclusives’
  • James Murdoch (AP: Sang Tan)

    Last week in the British phone-hacking scandal saw the principal focus turn on News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch's survival. This week, however, it seems likely that Rupert Murdoch's son James will occupy center stage in the scandal. The testimony that James Murdoch, who works as News Corp.'s deputy chief operating officer, delivered before Parliament last week is now drawing fire from former employees, and sparking new investigations from lawmakers and Scotland Yard. And that, in turn, looks to spell serious trouble for James Murdoch's ongoing tenure as chairman of British Sky Broadcasting.

    The board of BSkyB meets on Thursday for the first time since the phone hacking scandal prompted News Corp. to drop its takeover bid, and Murdoch's chairmanship will certainly be on the agenda. The other big agenda item on Thursday certainly doesn't look to aid James Murdoch's cause, either:  The board will weigh the U.K. communications regulator's inquiry about whether News Corp. is "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting license for BSkyB. (For his part, James said late last week he has no plans to step down from the BSkyB board.)

    On Friday, the select Parliamentary committee that grilled both the younger and elder Murdochs on the phone-hacking case last week is scheduled to meet to discuss whether James Murdoch should be called back for more questioning. Late last week, three former News International executives claimed James Murdoch misled the committee, but the younger Murdoch stood by his testimony.

    According to an unnamed New York Times source, Murdoch's testimony could also face a challenge from a fourth source: "an outside attorney who was also privy to discussions surrounding a confidential settlement to a phone hacking victim in 2008, which Mr. Murdoch approved, according to several lawyers with knowledge of the proceedings."

    And News Corp. is reportedly bracing for subpoenas from a U.S. investigation into alleged hacking of 9/11 victims.

    Read More »from James Murdoch, News Corp. bracing for another week of intense scrutiny in phone hacking scandal
  • In its first information-seeking lawsuit, Gawker is taking legal action against New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's office, seeking to compel Christie to disclose records of his communications with Fox News chief Roger Ailes.

    As the New York Times first reported Sunday night, "A strong public interest exists in knowing whether the executive in charge of the nation's most-watched cable news channel is acting as a political consultant to a prospective Republican presidential candidate," the civil suit, filed Monday in conjunction with the American Civil Liberties Union, states.

    The litigation has its origins in a snippet of Gabe Sherman's New York magazine feature from May about the influence of Ailes and Fox News within the Republican power base. In the piece, Sherman reported: "A few months ago, Ailes called Chris Christie and encouraged him to jump into the [2012 presidential] race. Last summer, he'd invited Christie to dinner at his upstate compound along with Rush Limbaugh, and like much of the GOP Establishment, he fell hard for Christie, who nevertheless politely turned down Ailes's calls to run."

    Read More »from Gawker sues New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s office for access to Roger Ailes communications

Pagination

(1,891 Stories)

Follow Yahoo! News