The Cutline
  • ailesAP060724025899There were a lot of people who spoke, on the record and off, about Fox News honcho Roger Ailes in a pair of hard-hitting features published these past few weeks in New York and Rolling Stone. Roger Ailes, however, was not one of them--the pugnacious cable news executive declined to participate in both profiles.

    But Ailes has taken to the pages of another magazine to push back on the recent storm of coverage that's engulfed him.

    As Newsweek's Howard Kurtz puts it in the issue that's on stands today: "When I spoke with him shortly after the publication of two scathing magazine profiles depicting the chairman as power mad, paranoid, and a GOP puppeteer, Ailes was in a strikingly upbeat mood. When the climate is calm, he loves to stir up trouble ... But part of his genius is that when he faces hostile fire, Ailes can turn unexpectedly mellow, the better to make his critics look like the loony ones."

    Ailes told Kurtz, for instance, that he'd love to hire Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as a paid contributor on his right-leaning cable news juggernaut. He spoke fondly of Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He denied a much re-blogged claim from an anonymous source in the New York piece alleging he thinks Sarah Palin is an "idiot." (On the contrary: "She's so smart she's got the press corps running up the whole East Coast behind her bus.") And he likewise laughed off a nugget from the Rolling Stone take-down, intended to illustrate his alleged paranoia, that the windows in his office are blast resistant.

    Read More »from Roger Ailes pushes back on recent coverage
  • cnn-debates

    CNN's first debate of the 2012 election season--June 13 at Saint Anselm College in New Hampshire--is a week away.

    And unlike the two GOP debates that had been scheduled for last month--including the NBC/Politico Republican presidential debate that was moved to September--the lineup for this one is relatively full: Minnesota Representative Michele Bachmann, businessman Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Texas Representative Ron Paul, former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, who officially announced his candidacy on Monday, have accepted invitations to appear.

    There are, however, a couple names noticeably absent for the first New Hampshire debate of the 2012 election cycle: Sarah Palin and Rudy Giuliani. Debate organizers invited the former Alaska governor--who just swept through the state on her bus tour--together with the former New York mayor. Giuliani, who is reportedly mulling a 2012 bid, declined the invitation; Palin did not officially respond, either. But during her tour of the state last week, she told a local television station: "I don't think I'm going to be there. Thank you for asking though."

    Read More »from Full lineup for CNN’s first GOP debate in New Hampshire … except for Palin
  • 2011_05_genetteNew York Democratic Rep. Anthony Weiner's Twitter mishap has already become the crotch shot heard-round-the-world, thanks largely to obsessive media coverage of the episode. And now, the media itself has taken a prominent role in the latest twist of the Weiner saga.

    Gennette Cordova, the Seattle-area college student who was the unwitting recipient of the lewd Twitter photo, blasted the New York Post over the weekend for its "exclusive" cover story last Friday reporting that she "agreed to pose for pictures" in order "to offset what she said are unflattering snapshots of her" now splashed across the web. Judging by the story, this run-in also seemed to mark the first time Cordova agreed to discuss the scandal in the media.

    Or was it?

    In a series of June 3 messages on Twitter--the only forum where Cordova has spoken publicly about the controversy--Cordova blasted New York Post reporter Reuven Fenton. She claimed that Fenton never identified himself during last week's photo shoot in Bellingham, Wash., where she goes to school, and that she never agreed to speak on the record.

    "I was 'Trojan horsed' by an NY Post reporter who never said who he was or that he was interviewing me," she tweeted. "And after that invasion of privacy where they got me to speak casually, there's still no story here! Let it go."

    Read More »from Unwitting Weinergate recipient slams New York Post as scandal continues to unfold

Pagination

(1,891 Stories)
  • Five Cameroon v Ivory Coast facts

    Malabo (Equatorial Guinea) (AFP) - Five facts on the Africa Cup of Nations Group D match between Cameroon and Ivory Coast in Malabo Wednesday:

  • Sharapova eclipses Bouchard as dark horse looms
    Sharapova eclipses Bouchard as dark horse looms

    Second seed Maria Sharapova sent rising star Eugenie Bouchard into a tailspin with an imperious display Tuesday, setting up an Australian Open women's semi-final with enigmatic fellow Russian Ekaterina Makarova. Five-time Grand Slam champion Sharapova, 27, flicked aside the Canadian seventh seed 6-3, 6-2 in their glamour quarter-final clash as her quest for a second Australian title gathers pace. She was expected to face a tough battle against Bouchard, the photogenic 20-year-old constantly compared to Sharapova and hyped as the leading light in a group of young guns destined for Grand Slam success. Bouchard made too many mistakes going for big winners, resulting in an early break that Sharapova never relinquished.

  • Liverpool scent Chelsea blood as Wembley looms
    Liverpool scent Chelsea blood as Wembley looms

    With Chelsea reeling from FA Cup humiliation, Liverpool will visit Stamford Bridge for their League Cup semi-final second leg on Tuesday with increased confidence of reaching the final. Liverpool were unfortunate not to emerge victorious from last week's first leg at Anfield, drawing 1-1, and they will scent blood after Chelsea were bundled out of the FA Cup by third-tier Bradford City on Saturday. Liverpool's own FA Cup tie did not go quite according to plan, a 0-0 draw with Championship side Bolton Wanderers leaving them with an unwanted replay, but they were at least spared the embarrassment that befell Chelsea.

  • Bouchard regretful as Slam chance goes begging
    Bouchard regretful as Slam chance goes begging

    Canadian seventh seed Eugenie Bouchard admitted she was full of regrets on Tuesday after blowing the chance to make a Grand Slam statement against second seed Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open. The 20-year-old, hyped as the rising star of a new generation destined for glory at the majors, was seeded seventh at Melbourne Park but looked outclassed in her quarter-final against the Russian five-time Slam champion. Bouchard insisted she had chances to win the match, including two break points in the first set, but failed to seize them. Bouchard was the most consistent player at Grand Slams last year, making the Australian and French semis along with the Wimbledon final.

Follow Yahoo! News