The Cutline
  • (The Atlantic)

    If you think journalism is becoming feminized, following in the footsteps of the nursing and teaching industries, bylines certainly don't show it. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

    A year after sparking feminist furor with a study that found a lack of female bylines in literary magazines, the Vida organization has published another annual count. And despite the uproar within the publishing and literary community that last year's study caused, it appears not much has changed.

    The non-profit group--founded by a pair of female professors--spent more than two months tallying articles and book reviews from the 2011 issues of 14 publications including The Atlantic, New Yorker, New Republic, New York Times Book Review, New York Review of Books, Harper's, Granta, Paris Review, Poetry magazine, London Review of Books, Boston Review, Threepenny Review, Times Literary Supplement and the Nation.

    They found that just 28 percent of the 6,644 articles published by the titles last year were written by women. In all but two categories tracked by Vita--which included writers, reviewers  or authors being reviewed across all 14 publications--men dominated the content. And just one publication, Granta, had more women contributors (34) last year than men (30).

    "We want to raise people's consciousness," Erin Belieu, Vida co-director and professor at Florida State Univ., told Yahoo News. "Gender bias is pretty ingrained--this is a expression in the literary world, but it happens everywhere."

    Of 326 articles published by The Atlantic in 2011, including fiction, just 28 percent were written by women. That ratio was virtually unchanged from 2010, when 25 percent or 52 of 210 articles had female writers.

    Of the 36 book authors reviewed in the Atlantic last year, a third were women--a marginally more even ratio than 2010, when just 23 percent or 10 of the 43 authors reviewed were female.

    A spokeswoman for the Atlantic declined to comment on the study.

    At the New Yorker, 73 percent or 459 of the 624 articles published last year were written by men. The ratio was virtually unchanged from 2010, when 449 of 612 articles published in the magazine were written by men.

    A representative for the New Yorker did not return a request seeking comment, either. But following Vida's 2010 study, editor David Remnick told the Jewish Forward, "We've got to do better--it's as simple and as stark as that."

    They're certainly not alone.

    Read More »from Voices unheard: Female bylines still lacking in male-dominated literary magazines
  • Breitbart (Getty)

    Andrew Breitbart, the outspoken conservative writer, activist and website operator, has died unexpectedly in Los Angeles, where he lived with a wife and four young children. He was 43.

    Breitbart, who may have been best known as the conservative who brought down ACORN, was pronounced dead at the UCLA Medical Center shortly after midnight on Thursday, the Los Angeles County coroner's office told Yahoo News. The cause of death was not immediately known, a spokesman at the coroner's office said.

    One of his websites, BigGovernment.com, announced his death early Thursday.

    "Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles," the note on his website read. "Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love."

    It's unclear what those natural causes were. A representative for the website did not immediately return a request for more information.

    Read More »from Andrew Breitbart dead: Outspoken conservative was 43
  • James Murdoch arrives at News International headquarters in London, July 19, 2011. (AP/Sang Tan)

    James Murdoch, son of News Corp. chief executive Rupert Murdoch and head of News International, has stepped down as executive chairman of the embattled British newspaper division, the company announced on Wednesday.

    His resignation comes on the heels of the growing U.K. investigation into News International's phone-hacking activities, and less than a week after the division launched a new Sunday tabloid, the Sun on Sunday, which was overseen by Rupert Murdoch himself.

    There are at least three open investigations into phone hacking at News International -- the most recent at the Sun. News Corp. says it's cooperating with British authorities. Earlier this month, five Sun staffers were arrested in an ongoing probe into journalists paying for tips from police. More than 20 people have been arrested since the phone-hacking investigation began.

    The 39-year-old James was named deputy chief operating officer of News Corp. last March, three months before the phone-hacking scandal erupted. On Wednesday, the company said James would remain in the deputy COO role. Tom Mockridge, News International CEO, will continue in his post and will report to News Corp. president and COO Chase Carey, the company said.

    In a statement, the elder Murdoch said James would "continue to assume a variety of essential corporate leadership mandates, with particular focus on important pay-TV businesses and broader international operations." And James Murdoch added in a statement: "As deputy chief operating officer, I look forward to expanding my commitment to News Corporation's international television businesses and other key initiatives across the company."

    James Murdoch has repeatedly denied direct knowledge of phone-hacking activities at News International. He last testified before a select Parliament committee in November, denying he misled them when he testified in July that he had not been shown an email from former editors at News of the World suggesting the phone-hacking was widespread at the company.

    Despite questions surrounding his testimony, there's no indication that an arrest of James Murdoch is in the works, though, as the BBC's Raymond Snoddy wrote on Twitter, "[It's] interesting that James Murdoch re-located to the States before resigning as executive chairman of News International -- how convenient."

    But his resignation further dims the prospect of James Murdoch taking over for his father if and when the 81-year-old Rupert retires.

    At last year's shareholders meeting, James and Lachlan Murdoch managed to retain seats on News Corp.'s board of directors. But Carey, who also has a board seat, is now seen as a possible successor to Murdoch, should the company look outside the Murdoch family.

    "In any other industry," the U.K.'s Independent wrote in an editorial published Wednesday before James' resignation, "a boss could not survive evidence of malpractice requiring no fewer than three separate police investigations."

    "If [James] can concentrate on running those TV interests alone," BBC business editor Robert Peston wrote, "together with chairing British Sky Broadcasting, maybe his reputation -- damaged by the phone-hacking scandal -- can be rebuilt."

    Read More »from James Murdoch steps down as head of News International

Pagination

(1,891 Stories)
  • Business Highlights

    ___ Alibaba prices IPO at $68 per share Alibaba, the Chinese e-commerce powerhouse named after a fabled, poor woodsman who discovers a thieves' den full of treasures, is ready to strike it rich on the ...

  • Strong Senate vote for Obama on Syria rebel aid
    Strong Senate vote for Obama on Syria rebel aid

    The Senate has approved a plan for the military to train and equip Syrian rebels, clearing the measure for President Barack Obama's signature.

  • Upgrade to iOS 8 now or wait?
    Upgrade to iOS 8 now or wait?

    Apple's iOS 8 software update for iPhones and iPads is worth getting — but not necessarily right away. Those with an older device, such as an iPhone 4s or an iPad 2, might want to wait to see whether others ...

  • Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom

    By Alistair Smout and Angus MacSwan EDINBURGH (Reuters) - Scotland spurned independence in a historic referendum that threatened to rip the United Kingdom apart, sow financial turmoil and diminish Britain’s remaining global clout. A vote for the 307-year union is a relief for millions of Britons including Prime Minister David Cameron, whose job was on the line, as well as allies across the world who were horrified at the prospect of the United Kingdom's separation. With 31 of 32 constituencies declared, unionists had won 55 percent of the vote while separatists were on 45 percent. ...

  • Celebrity rabbi takes plea bargain over bribery
    Celebrity rabbi takes plea bargain over bribery

    JERUSALEM (AP) — A multimillionaire Israeli celebrity rabbi with a following in the United States has accepted a plea bargain in which he admits to attempting to bribe a senior police official, and could now face a one-year prison sentence, Israel's Justice Ministry said Wednesday.

  • Scotland's referendum: how the votes are adding up

    EDINBURGH (Reuters) - Votes are being counted from Scotland's independence referendum with most of the first tallies expected to come from the smaller councils. Announcements from the big cities of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen are expected only around 0400 GMT. The referendum will be decided by a simple majority, meaning the 'yes' and 'no' campaigns are seeking to get more than 50 percent of the votes cast. Below are details of counts which have been declared so far and the councils for which results have yet to be announced. ...

  • Truck firm faces paying millions in Amtrak crash
    Truck firm faces paying millions in Amtrak crash

    RENO, Nev. (AP) — A Nevada trucking company could be forced to pay more than $5.7 million if a judge formalizes a jury verdict that faulted one of its drivers for a fiery 2011 crash with an Amtrak train that killed six people and injured dozens.

  • Australian PM cites 'chatter' of attacks on government, parliament

    By Matt Siegel SYDNEY (Reuters) - Intelligence "chatter" has revealed that militants plan to attack Australian politicians and government buildings, the prime minister said on Friday, a day after hundreds of police carried out a sweeping counter-terrorism operation. Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he had ordered security boosted at Parliament House in Canberra, amid mounting concerns over the possibility of attacks by Australians radicalised in Iraq or Syria. ...

Follow Yahoo! News