Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman has apparently launched a website—TheRealGeorgeZimmerman.com—to relay a message thanking his supporters, and to collect donations via PayPal for his living and defense expenses. The site had been down intermittently on Monday afternoon.
"I am the real George Zimmerman," a message on the site begins. "On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website's sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries."
[Related: Geraldo Rivera finds the 'real' culprit]
The site's background is an image of a large American flag. The domain was privately registered on Sunday, according to NetworkSolutions.com records.
NBC News' Mara Schiavocampo said she confirmed through Zimmerman's lawyers that the site is indeed his. CNN and other media outlets followed.
More from Zimmerman's site:
It has come to my attention that some persons and/or entities have been collecting funds, thinly veiled as my "Defense Fund" or "Legal Fund". I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites as I have not received any funds collected, intended to support my family and I through this trying, tragic time.
I have created a Paypal account solely linked on this website as I would like to provide an avenue to thank my supporters personally and ensure that any funds provided are used only for living expenses and legal defense, in lieu of my forced inability to maintain employment. I will also personally, maintain accountability of all funds received. I reassure you, every donation is appreciated.
The posted message concluded with a quote from Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing."
[Related: Zimmerman had prior brushes with the law]
Earlier on Monday, Angela Corey, the special prosecutor appointed to investigate the shooting death of Martin, said that the case will not go to a grand jury.
The decision does not rule out the possibility that George Zimmerman, Martin's shooter, could be arrested.
According to Orlando's WFTV, Zimmerman could be arrested as early as this week.
Other popular Yahoo News stories: