Some home repairs should be left to professionals.
Yang Yi Kui, a 55-year-old man from the Jiangsu province of China who is being described as a "DIY enthusiast," felt ill on Dec. 30, the day after he had been using a cutting machine to help fix up his home.
An CT scan revealed the problem: an 8-centimetre nail was lodged in his head.
Yang had no idea the nail hit him, only that the machine had fired off a nail which was nowhere to be found.
"The nail that got stuck in the cutting machine flew out when I turned on the machine. It ripped into my head and left a small hole on the skin," Yang told Metro.
Because of how deeply embedded the nail was in his head, neurosurgeons had to perform a craniotomy, a risky surgery that involved removing a piece of Yang's skull.
[ More Buzz: Dennis Rodman loses it during CNN interview ]
"The nail penetrated his eye socket and reached the petrosal bone after passing through the middle cranial fossa," said Luo Liangsheng, a doctor in neurosurgery.
"If we pulled the nail out directly, the surgical risk would be quite high, because the great vessels and nerves might be hurt during the process."
Fortunately, neither Yang's eyesight nor any nerves were damaged during the procedure. CCTV reports that he is now recovering in stable condition.
No word on whether he'll finish his home-renovation project.
Want the latest buzz before it goes viral?
Follow @YDailyBuzz on Twitter!