The Envoy

‘Kony 2012′ sequel released by Invisible Children (VIDEO)

Invisible Children, the organization behind the viral smash hit "Kony 2012" video, released the sequel on Thursday.

Like the original, half-hour documentary, this 20-minute film, titled "Kony 2012 Part II: Beyond Famous," attacks Joseph Kony, the Ugandan warlord featured in the first video. The new video also addresses critics who charged the first mini-documentary oversimplifies facts about the more than two-decade-old Central African conflict.

One thing it doesn't address: Jason Russell's hospitalization. The 33-year-old filmmaker behind the original film sought treatment in March several weeks after the first video's release. The co-founder of the San Diego-based Invisible Children was detained by police after an apparent meltdown. Russell was shown on video running through the street in his underwear, "interfering with traffic, banging his hands on the sidewalk, yelling and screaming."

Russell's wife said that he had suffered a "brief psychosis" following the unprecedented attention garnered from the first film, which attracted more than 86 million views on YouTube.

"Doctors say this is a common experience given the great mental, emotional and physical shock his body has gone through in these last two weeks," Danica Russell said in a statement last month. "Even for us, it's hard to understand the sudden transition from relative anonymity to worldwide attention—both raves and ridicules, in a matter of days."

Russell, who is still undergoing treatment, isn't featured in the sequel.

The new film was released, in part, to promote an April 20 rally in New York City.

Other popular Yahoo News stories:

Trayvon Martin case exposes worst in media

Trayvon Martin shooting: Debate over photos escalates

Zimmerman neighbor on robberies by 'young black men' before Trayvon shooting: 'If you plant corn, you get corn'

View Comments (826)