The Lookout
  • Robynn Fried says she was "literally two weeks from being homeless" when she heard a knock at the door.

    It was Artem Smao, a 14-year-old boy looking to raise money for a trip to Lake Tahoe by selling newspaper subscriptions.

    CBS13 in Sacramento reports that Fried, who was unemployed and desperately seeking work at a pharmacy, told Artem why she couldn't afford to buy anything. That's when Artem reached into his pocket and offered the complete stranger all the money he had earned that day.

    While Fried said she couldn't possibly accept the money, and Artem moved on, she was deeply touched by the encounter. She said it did wonders for her spirit. "I had just given up on getting a pharmacy job at all," she told CBS13. "Literally, the day before I’d just given up hope and what he did gave it back, brought it all back."

    Hope turned to luck when a friend called her about a job opening at a pharmacy. By the next week, Fried had a job.

    "I feel incredibly blessed," she said.

    Artem didn't think

    Read More »from Boy selling newspapers helps woman turn life around
  • Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is expected to announce its first foray into the cellphone market during a 10 a.m. PT press event Thursday at his Menlo Park, Calif. headquarters.

    ABC News technology editor Joanna Stern will anchor our live chat from Facebook headquarters and will be joined by Yahoo News columnist Rob Walker and editor Max Zimbert for a live chat about the social network's latest, and potentially most pivotal, mobile move.

    Read More »from Facebook releases new Android platform: Messages and notifications redefined
  • 'Undercover Inside the Mexican Drug War' by the reporters of Blog Del Narco'Undercover Inside the Mexican Drug War' by the reporters of Blog Del Narco

    The anonymous author behind the acclaimed Blog Del Narco, which focuses on Mexico's war with the powerful drug cartels, spoke with the U.K.'s The Guardian and the Texas Observer about the reporting and photography emphasizing the war's violence that has made the site as disturbing as it is popular.

    People have long speculated about the identity of the blog's creator and why a person would risk retaliation from both drug gangs and corrupt members of the government. The Guardian reports that the blog's creator is a woman who asked to use the pseudonym "Lucy."

    "I don't think people ever imagined it was a woman doing this," Lucy said. "Who am I? I'm in my mid-20s. I live in northern Mexico. I'm a journalist. I'm a woman. I'm single. I have no children. And I love Mexico."

    The Guardian spoke with Lucy by phone after verifying that she was in fact the writer of Blog Del Narco. "I'm in love with my culture, with my country, despite all that's going on," she said. "Because we're not all bad.

    Read More »from Anonymous drug war blogger speaks about dangers of reporting

Pagination

(3,632 Stories)
  • China splurging on military as US pulls back
    China splurging on military as US pulls back

    QINGDAO, China (AP) — China's navy commissioned 17 new warships last year, the most of any nation. In a little more than a decade, it's expected to have three aircraft carriers, giving it more clout than ever in a region of contested seas and festering territorial disputes.

  • Meg Ryan Joining 'How I Met Your Dad'
    Meg Ryan Joining 'How I Met Your Dad'

    Meg Ryan will be putting her voice to work on the "How I Met Your Mother" spin-off, "How I Met Your Dad."

  • It's Legal to Sell Pot in Colorado, But Not If You're in 4th Grade

    DENVER  – Two Colorado fourth graders were busted for selling marijuana at their elementary school, prompting officials today to urge adults to keep their weed locked away from kids. School officials said a 10-year-old fourth grade boy brought a small quantity of leafy marijuana to...

  • Android 4.4.3 tipped to bring major Dialer redesign
    Android 4.4.3 tipped to bring major Dialer redesign

    Google has yet to roll out its Android 4.4.3 KitKat update, which is believed to bring various bug fixes and improvements, but a leaked screenshot seems to indicate that at least one major new feature may also be part of the upcoming software update. According to an image posted on the xda-developers forum, the Google Dialer is getting a completely new look. The Android 4.4.3 Dialer app features a series of cards for each contact instead of a list. The cards have a colored background with the first initial of the name placed on them, but they can apparently also show a picture of the contact when one is assigned to it. Other elements in the screenshot include the top search bar and

  • Cliven Bundy stands by racially charged comments, ‘That’s exactly what I said’
    Cliven Bundy stands by racially charged comments, ‘That’s exactly what I said’

    The Nevada cattle rancher's musings about slavery have turned him into a liability for conservative lawmakers who had come to his defense in recent days.

  • Fatah and Hamas Reconcile, Agree To Recognize Israel (Which Then Walks Out of Peace Talks)
    Fatah and Hamas Reconcile, Agree To Recognize Israel (Which Then Walks Out of Peace Talks)

    The peace talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority are going about as well as usual. Israel walked out of talks today after the Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas announced that his Fatah party, which controls the West Bank, and Hamas, which oversees the Gaza Strip, were going to form a unity government in the next five weeks. Israel regards Hamas as a terrorist group, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu telling the BBC that Fatah can "have peace with Israel or a pact with Hamas - he can't have both"

  • Bill Ford Reveals the Competitor Cars He Drives
    Bill Ford Reveals the Competitor Cars He Drives

    Bill Ford takes no pains to hide the fact that he has a favorite child. “Perhaps a parent shouldn’t have a favorite child, but I do,” said the executive chairman of the Ford Motor Co. “I love all of our cars and trucks, but my favorite is the Mustang.” In an interview at the New [...]

  • Palestinians to consider 'all options' in response to Israel 
    Palestinians to consider 'all options' in response to Israel 

    Ramallah (Palestinian Territories) (AFP) - The Palestinians are considering "all options" in response to Israel's decision to halt peace talks and punish the Palestinian Authority over its unity deal with Hamas, an official said Thursday. “The Palestinian leadership will look into all options to respond to Israeli government decisions against the PA,” senior Palestinian official Saeb Erakat told AFP. “The priority now for the Palestinians is reconciliation and national unity,” he added. On Wednesday, the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) -- internationally recognised as the sole representative of the Palestinian people -- and Islamist rulers of the Gaza Strip Hamas signed a reconciliation agreement.

Follow Yahoo! News