The Lookout
  • UPDATED, 12:37 p.m. PT: At least one student was shot when a classmate opened fire at a high school in California on Thursday.

    The shooting occurred in the science building at Taft Union High School in Taft, Calif., at approximately 9 a.m. local time, a Kern County Sheriff's official told Yahoo News.

    The suspected shooter—a 16-year-old male student at the school—did not show up for the start of first period, police say. He entered the school with a 12-gauge shotgun and interrupted his first-period class, shooting one student police say he was targeting.

    The victim, also 16, was airlifted to Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, Calif., with a shotgun wound to the upper right chest. He's in critical but stable condition.

    The gunman then called a second student's name in the 28-person class and fired again, but missed, Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said. A teacher and a campus supervisor engaged the shooter in conversation inside the classroom, school officials said, and were able to persuade him to put down the shotgun. The shooter was then taken into police custody.

    The teacher was treated at the scene for a pellet wound to the head. (It's unclear whether the wound was from birdshot, Youngblood said.) Another student who was near the shotgun when it was fired was taken to a local hospital, where she was treated for hearing loss.

    [Slideshow: Shots fired at high school in California]

    During a press briefing outside the school on Thursday afternoon, reporters asked police whether the suspected shooter had been suspended from school last year for carrying what parents told them was a "hit list." Police would not confirm those reports.

    According to the school's website, "two campus supervisors and a Kern County Sheriff monitor the campus before, during, and after school." But officials said the armed officer who is normally on campus was "snowed in" and not on duty at the time of the shooting. About 1,000 students attend the high school.

    ABC's Kero-Bakersfield affiliate said it received calls from students who were hiding in closets inside the school, located about 120 miles north of Los Angeles.

    Read More »from Student opens fire at California high school, wounding one
  • First responders at the scene of the ferry crash in New York City. (FDNY Incidents)

    NEW YORK—A commuter ferry crashed as it was docking in lower Manhattan on Wednesday morning, injuring more than 70 passengers, two critically. The ferry was taking hundreds of commuters from the New Jersey shore into New York City's Wall Street area.

    “It was like we ran into a concrete wall,” said Bill McKenzie, a 62-year-old bond broker commuting from his home in Highlands, N.J. “You’re never prepared for something like that. Bodies were just flying.”

    The crash occurred at about 8:45 a.m. as the boat, operated by Seastreak Ferry, pulled into Pier 11 near Wall Street in lower Manhattan. The cause of the accident was not immediately clear, but a massive gash could be seen along the front right side of the boat.

    Dozens of police and fire officials descended on the scene, as did workers from the American Red Cross, who were helping dazed passengers even as they were being questioned by investigators. Several passengers were seen being carried from the scene on flat boards, their heads and necks secured.

    Officials said there were about 300 people on the boat, including five crew members. At least two passengers were critically injured with severe head trauma and nine others had serious injuries, according to New York City Fire Commissioner Joe Bruno.

    Bruno said the boat's captain and other crew members were being interviewed by local authorities on the scene, and fire officials were preparing to turn over the scene to investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board. Officials said the pier would be closed until further notice.

    Commuter Ashley Furman said the ferry had pulled into the pier as usual and that she and other passengers had stood up to prepare to disembark.

    “I was talking to someone and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground,” Furman said, visibly shaken. “A woman was shaking me and asking me if I was OK, and I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t speak."

    Furman said she was thrown about six feet through the air. "I felt like I was in a movie," she said.

    Read More »from Dozens of commuters injured in NYC ferry crash
  • World War I soldiers with bomb (Photo courtesy of Anton Orlov)

    A collector of vintage photography equipment got an extra bonus when he picked up a French camera at an antique store: never-before-seen images circa World War I France.

    Anton Orlov details the story of the lucky find on his blog the Photo Palace, where all of the eight photos from the Jumelle Belllieni stereoscopic camera can be seen.

    Orlov writes in his blog that he came across the images completely by accident, as he was cleaning the recently purchased camera. He opened up the film chamber and found the negatives on a stack of glass plates.

    He writes, “While viewing the images in their negative form it was difficult to say for sure what was on each of them, but after scanning them it became clear that they dated back to the First World War and were taken somewhere in France. Adding, “I absolutely love finding images that likely have never been seen by anyone in the world.”

    The photography enthusiast tells Yahoo News by email, “I was very surprised when I found them. “ He noted that

    Read More »from World War I photos found inside antique camera

Pagination

(3,631 Stories)
  • Mayweather dampens hopes for Pacquiao fight
    Mayweather dampens hopes for Pacquiao fight

    Unbeaten fighter Floyd Mayweather dampened talk of a possible mega-fight agreement with Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, a day after the Asian star's promoter said a deal was near. Mayweather posted a message on his Shots account that said in part "While they continue to lie about making the fight... I'm just going to continue to travel and explore the world on my private jet. Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum told the New York Post on Friday that he was optimistic a Pacquiao-Mayweather deal for a May 2 fight in Las Vegas would be completed in the next couple of days, with only a few final details to be settled between rival telecasters HBO and Showtime, the rights holders for Pacquiao and Mayweather respectively. Mayweather, who turns 38 on February 24, left England's Amir Khan hanging for months until announcing on his birthday last year that he would fight Argentina's Marcos Maidana instead.

  • Pellegrini remains hopeful as Mourinho sulks
    Pellegrini remains hopeful as Mourinho sulks

    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho kept his thoughts to himself after his side consolidated their position atop the Premier League with a 1-1 home draw against nearest rivals Manchester City. Aggrieved by striker Diego Costa's three-game ban for treading on Liverpool's Emre Can -- an incident he felt was unfairly amplified by the media -- Mourinho has imposed a personal press blackout at Stamford Bridge. Having cancelled his weekly press conference on Friday, he refused to speak on television either before or after Saturday's game, while in contravention of Premier League rules, reporters attending his post-match press conference were greeted by the sight of an empty blue chair. The Portuguese appears to be attempting to create a siege mentality at Chelsea and while his no-show drew scorn from fans on social media, it is a tactic that does not appear to have done his players any harm.

  • Evergreen Serena hungry for more Slams
    Evergreen Serena hungry for more Slams

    With her name freshly engraved onto the Australian Open trophy, Serena Williams feels she can play on indefinitely and is intent on increasing her tally of 19 Grand Slams. The American great, 33, scoffed at talk of retirement after shooting down Maria Sharapova in straight sets to win her sixth title at Melbourne Park, becoming the oldest woman to ever lift the trophy. Williams has endured her share of injury scares during a long career, including a life-threatening pulmonary embolism in 2011 that sidelined her for 12 months. "I can play as long as I like now," Williams said after moving to clear second on the list of all-time Open-era Slam winners behind Steffi Graf on 22.

  • Tennis-Djokovic grinds Murray down to win Australian Open

    * Djokovic claims his fifth Australian Open title * Murray suffers third final defeat to Serb at Melbourne Park (Updates after Djokovic wins) By Ian Ransom MELBOURNE, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic reasserted his rule over the hard-courts of Melbourne Park on Sunday, grinding down Andy Murray 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 6-3 6-0 to win his fifth Australian Open title. The pair waged a fierce baseline duel for the opening two sets, but Djokovic won 12 of the last 13 games to close out an emphatic win and become the first man in the professional era to secure five titles at Melbourne Park.

Follow Yahoo! News