The Lookout
  • A woman whose husband was critically wounded in the Colorado movie theater shooting has given birth to the couple's first child.

    Katie Medley gave birth to a boy named Hugo Jackson Medley on Tuesday at University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, the same hospital where her husband, Caleb Medley, lies in critical but stable condition.

    Caleb, 23, is suffering from a bullet wound to an eye, according to a CBS News report. The hospital says Katie Medley, 21, and baby are doing great. Katie Medley was unhurt in the shooting.

    But as Caleb slowly recovers, medical bills are mounting. According to Michael West, a friend of the couple's, Caleb, who is an aspiring comedian, does not have health insurance. And medical bills could near $2 million, according to the CBS report.

    So West has started a website to collect donations. So far it has raised almost $86,000.

    [COMPLETE COVERAGE: Colorado theater shooting]

    Meanwhile, a horde of mostly anonymous donors has contributed nearly $2 million to a

    Read More »from Colorado shooting victim remains in ICU as wife gives birth to first child
  • People at a memorial for the Century 16 shooting victims (Ed Andrieski/AP)

    AURORA, Colo.—A horde of mostly anonymous donors has contributed nearly $2 million to a network of nonprofits that are helping those injured in the Aurora movie theater shooting that occurred on Friday.

    Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are among the contributors, but most who gave have asked to remain anonymous, according to Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper's office. More than 50 people were wounded and 12 killed in the attack.

    At least one seriously injured victim of the shooting, Petra Anderson, does not have health insurance, and costs even for the insured are sure to be high. The Aurora Victim Relief Fund will help defray a portion of those expenses. (Some family members of the injured have started their own fundraising drives, which are separate from this fund.) The full list of nonprofits in the network is available at the GivingFirst.org site.

    [COMPLETE COVERAGE: Colorado theater shooting]

    Read More »from Donors give nearly $2 million to help Aurora shooting victims
  • Holmes (Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office)

    Gun sales in Colorado have spiked since last week's massacre, The Denver Post reports.

    Background checks jumped more than 41 percent since Friday's shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured during a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" at an Aurora movie theater. Over the weekend, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm, the Post said, an increase of 43 percent over the previous weekend.

    "It's been insane," Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker, Colo., told the paper.

    Spikes in gun sales are not uncommon in the aftermath of mass shootings like the one in Colorado. Following the January 2011 shooting that killed six and wounded more than a dozen others—including former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords—in Tucson, sales of handguns soared more than 60 percent in the state, according to FBI data. Similar spikes were seen after the massacres at Virginia Tech and Columbine.

    [COMPLETE COVERAGE: Colorado theater shooting]

    Some of those seeking to buy guns in Colorado over the weekend said they were seeking to arm themselves for protection in the wake of the shooting, according to the report. But many were likely fearful of a change in gun laws. Democratic state Rep. Rhonda Fields of Aurora told the paper she wants Congress to reinstate a ban on assault weapons.

    "When something like this happens people get worried that the government is going to ban stuff," Greg Wolff, an Arizona gun shop owner, told Bloomberg.com after the rampage in Tucson.

    Read More »from Gun sales spike in Colorado after shooting, just like they did in Arizona

Pagination

(3,631 Stories)
  • China closes 66 'illegal' golf courses
    China closes 66 'illegal' golf courses

    China's Communist rulers have turned against the exclusive sport of golf with the government saying nearly 70 "illegal" courses have been closed, seemingly enforcing a decade-old ban for the first time. The announcement by the ministry of land and resources comes amid a high-profile anti-graft campaign spearheaded by President Xi Jinping, which has seen crackdowns on banquets, lavish gift-giving and other official excesses. The ruling Communist Party has long had an ambivalent relationship with golf, which is a lucrative opportunity for local authorities and a favoured pastime of some officials, but is also closely associated with wealth and Western elites. "Presently, local governments have shut down a number of illegally-built golf courses, and preliminary results have been achieved in clean-up and rectification work," read the announcement on the ministry's website late Monday.

Follow Yahoo! News