The Lookout
  • Lee speaks to the the media during a news conference, March 22, 2012. (Julie Fletcher/AP)

    UPDATE 5:42 p.m. ET: Sanford, Fla., city commissioners voted 3-2 to reject the resignation of Police Chief Bill Lee on Monday. According to the Associated Press, the "majority blamed the uproar surrounding Martin's death on outsiders."

    Lee, who last month left his post temporarily amid criticism of his handling of the Trayvon Martin case, had planned to step down permanently, according to CNN. The Sanford City Commission held a meeting Monday afternoon to vote on the resignation.

    Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett said he would wait until an investigation into Lee's conduct is concluded before weighing in on the matter.

    "I'm not ready to have him come back and run the police department," Triplett told CNN. "But I don't know if I'm ready for this either."

    Lee--who was harshly criticized for not arresting Martin's shooter, George Zimmerman, on the night of the Feb. 26 shooting--initially announced he would step aside until the public furor receded.

    "I am aware that my role as the head of the department has become a distraction," Lee said at press conference on March 22. "I have come to the decision to temporarily remove myself."

    Capt. Darren Scott, who has served as interim chief during Lee's absence, will remain in that position for now.

    Zimmerman was released early Monday after posting a $150,000 bond.

    He was fitted with an electronic monitoring device before leaving the John E. Polk Correctional Facility, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said.

    On Friday, Zimmerman--who's been charged with second-degree murder--apologized to Martin's family during a dramatic two-hour court hearing.

    "I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your son," Zimmerman told Martin's parents on Friday in his first public statement about the death. "I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little bit younger than I am. I did not know if he was armed or not."

    Read More »from Sanford commissioners reject police chief’s resignation
  • Wrigley Field stadium sign (Paul Beaty/AP)

    A Chicago man has pleaded guilty to federal charges that he placed a bomb in a trash container on a crowded street outside Wrigley Field in September 2010.

    Sami Samir Hassoun, 24, faces up to 30 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to charges of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted use of a explosive device, according to the FBI. Hassoun, a Lebanese citizen who lived in the city's North Side, remains in federal custody while waiting sentencing on Aug. 15. He was arrested as part of an FBI sting operation.

    As part of his plea, Hassoun acknowledged that he intended to cause mass casualties and had rejected opportunities to walk away from the plot, according to the FBI. He chose the particular location, in the 3500 block of North Clark Street, because it presented the opportunity to inflict a greater number of casualties than other locations he considered. There was a Dave Matthews Band concert at Wrigley Field on Sept. 18, 2010, just before Hassoun

    Read More »from Wrigley Field fake bomber pleads guilty to federal charges
  • George Zimmerman, left, walks out of jail after posting a $150,000 bond on April 22, 2012. (Brian Blanco/AP)

    George Zimmerman walked out of a Florida jail shortly after midnight early Monday morning, free after posting a $150,000 bond.

    Zimmerman was fitted with an electronic monitoring device before leaving the John E. Polk Correctional Facility, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said.

    Clutching a brown paper bag, Zimmerman got into the back of a white BMW and was driven away to an undisclosed location, where he will await the second-degree murder trial in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

    Zimmerman's release comes less than three days after a dramatic two-hour hearing in which he took the stand and apologized for the shooting.

    "I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your son," Zimmerman told Martin's parents on Friday in his first public statement about the death. "I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little bit younger than I am. I did not know if he was armed or not."

    Prosecutors had argued that the former neighborhood watchman should not be freed or that the bail should be set at $1 million.

    Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara argued that his client's location needs to remain a secret due to threats against him.

    Read More »from George Zimmerman released from jail on $150,000 bond

Pagination

(3,631 Stories)

Follow Yahoo! News