The Lookout
  • Three years ago, Grayson Clamp was born deaf. Three weeks ago, he became the first child in the U.S. to receive an auditory brain-stem implant—and heard his father’s voice for the first time.

    Grayson, 3, who was adopted by Len and Nicole Clamp of Charlotte, N.C., is missing the cochlear nerves that allow humans to process and hear sound, the Daily Mail reports. When the Clamps heard about a new research trial for deaf children at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, they jumped at the opportunity to change their son's life.

    Doctors implanted a microchip in Grayson’s brain to help him process and recognize noises. Grayson’s face lit up when he heard his father speak.

    Most of the roughly 1,000 people who have undergone the procedure have only a basic awareness of sound. According to WBTV, the Clamps say their new job is to teach Grayson how to make sense of what he hears.

    “We don’t know what it’s like for him,” said Nicole Clamp. “We don’t know exactly what he hears. His brain is still

    Read More »from Implant lets deaf child hear for the first time
  • The Burrito Grande at Gorditos (Gorditos/Facebook)America’s problem with portion size has sparked a strange new photo trend, one in which parents set their newborn babies alongside massive burritos on restaurant tabletops.

    According to the U.K.’s Daily Mail, a Mexican restaurant in Seattle, Wash., is saying that any diners who take photos of their babies next to one of the restaurant's staggering Burrito Grande plates can eat for free. The only catch: The child must be less than one month old.

    Gorditos has built its reputation around this $9 burrito that is, quite literally, the size of a newborn. Weighing in at a full four pounds of tortilla, meat, black beans, and rice, the Burrito Grande just might be the most popular item on the menu, one waiter told the Daily Mail.

    Taking advantage of the publicity, the eatery has covered its walls with the unusual baby photos and posted many of them on its Facebook page.

    Gorditos first opened in 1994 and has since expanded to two other locations in Seattle. According to the Daily Mail, some

    Read More »from Baby-size burritos lead to unusual photos
  • Compost bins in Westerleigh on Staten Island, N.Y.(William Holt)NEW YORK — Staten Island resident Donna Lokhammer can add another chore to her list: sorting through her garbage for organic waste like potato peels, coffee grounds and chicken bones, and gathering these scraps in a bin to be put on the curb every Saturday morning.

    “I’m not so crazy about the size of the bins,” said Lokhammer, of the picnic-size kitchen containers she received from the New York City Sanitation Department to compost her garbage. “They’re like lunchboxes. If you leave them in your kitchen, they start to smell.”

    For New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the pilot program in Staten Island’s Westerleigh neighborhood is just a testing ground for a citywide composting initiative. Bloomberg, who finishes his term early next year, has already asked New Yorkers to eat better and exercise more. He’s asked them to cut back on cigarettes, salt and soda. Now, he’s asking them to sort their trash.

    Following the example of smaller cities like Seattle and San Francisco that require

    Read More »from New York City residents sort their garbage as part of new composting program

Pagination

(3,631 Stories)
  • Stolen race car found on rural US roadside
    Stolen race car found on rural US roadside

    Police recovered a stolen race car on a rural roadside north of Atlanta on Saturday morning, a day after it was swiped from a stock car team's hotel parking lot. Team Xtreme Racing confirmed the recovery of its number 44 entry in the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR), the closed-cockpit series that is America's most popular form of motor racing. Also missing was a spare race engine and other car equipment that had been in the trailer along with the car. "So Happy to have 'old faithful' back," Team Xtreme posted on Twitter.

  • Keshi says Nigeria offered him 'slave contract'
    Keshi says Nigeria offered him 'slave contract'

    Coach Stephen Keshi has said a new deal offered to him by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)amounts to a "slave contract". A debate has raged whether 52-year-old Keshi should be given a new contract after he failed to qualify the Super Eagles for the recent Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea. His initial contract of three years ran out after last year's World Cup in Brazil, where Nigeria reached the last 16 knockout stages. After a long wait, Keshi, who triumphed with Nigeria at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, said he had received his new contract from the NFF but had been far from impressed with what was on offer.

  • Awesome Federer floors Djokovic in straight sets
    Awesome Federer floors Djokovic in straight sets

    By Matt Smith DUBAI (Reuters) - Roger Federer's enduring class shone through again as the Swiss maestro beat world number one Novak Djokovic 6-3 7-5 to win the Dubai Championships for a seventh time on Saturday. The 33-year-old's serve is the least praised of his repertoire but it was his awesome delivery that blunted Djokovic's baseline game, taking his career ace haul past the 9,000 barrier with 12 more, several at vital moments. The match, the 37th in their rivalry which Federer now leads 20-17, proved to be a tale of chances taken and chances missed -- Federer converting his two break points with clinical efficiency, while Djokovic failed on all seven of his. I definitely won the big points tonight." Djokovic had two set points to level the match in the second set but both times Federer was rescued by his serve.

Follow Yahoo! News