BOSTON—Law enforcement officials said Tuesday evening that they have no concrete information on who planted the two bombs that left more than 170 people injured and three dead near the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday.
Seventeen of the injured are in critical condition in area hospitals, officials said, with several of them recovering from amputations.
Gov. Deval Patrick announced that President Barack Obama will attend an interfaith ceremony at Boston's Cathedral of the Holy Cross in honor of the victims on Thursday.
FBI Special Agent in Charge Richard DesLauriers pleaded with the public to provide information to help authorities track down the culprit, particularly those who might know someone who was researching how to make bombs, or who saw a suspicious person carrying a heavy black nylon bag near the finish line.
"Someone knows who did this," DesLauriers said. The agent said the investigation in its "infancy," and that authorities do not know who is responsible for planting the bombs. He described the case as "wide open."
DesLauriers said it appeared at least one of the bombs was made of a pressure cooker loaded with nails and metal BBs, though the debris from the scene will have to be examined before they can make that determination. Doctors said metal bearings had embedded into the skin of their patients.
Officials also asked the public to turn in any photographic or digital evidence they have from the scene. They directed people with information to call 1-800-494-TIPS.
The injuries from the explosions include dismemberment and local hospitals say they are treating shrapnel wounds, open fractures and limb injuries. At Massachusetts General Hospital, doctors performed four amputations, and two more patients are at risk for needing amputations. An 8-year-old boy from Dorchester is one of the three known dead, and several of the injured are also children.
So far, two of three victims have been identified: 8-year-old Martin Richard of nearby Dorchester and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell of Medford.
Boston University announced late Tuesday that a third victim is a Boston University graduate student, who was watching the race with two friends. The Chinese consulate in New York told The Associated Press the victim is a Chinese national.
The university said it would not releasing the victim's name until it has permission to do so from the family.
According to Rep. Stephen Lynch, who has known the Richard family for 25 years, Richard was at the race with several members of his family, including his father, Bill, who had run the race in the past but had skipped the marathon this year because of an injury.
The family had gone to get ice cream and had returned to watch runners along Boylston Street when they witnessed the first blast, according to Lynch. He said the family immediately tried to move off the sidewalk into the street, in an attempt to get away from buildings out of fear of another blast. That’s when the second bomb struck, killing Richard and severely injuring his mother, Denise, and his six-year-old sister, Jane.
Campbell's father, William Campbell, said Krystle was a "wonderful, wonderful girl" who had gone to the finish line to watch her friend's boyfriend run the race Monday.Read More »from Boston Marathon update: Investigation in ‘infancy’; Obama visiting Thursday