Kardin Ulysse (WPIX)
The family of a 14-year-old New York City student who says he was beaten by a group of boys in a Brooklyn school cafeteria has announced plans to file a $16 million lawsuit against the city, claiming "negligent" and "inept" school officials failed to respond to his complaints about bullying.
Kardin Ulysse, an eighth-grader at Roy H. Mann Junior High, says the alleged June 5 attack left him blind in one eye.
"I can't see from my right eye at all," he told reporters at a news conference earlier this week. "Nothing."
The boy's father, Pierre Ulysse, says his son had complained about bullying "on multiple occasions," but school officials failed to stop it.
"They were beating him, kicking him, punching him in the face many, many times," the father said. "There is no guarantee he will see again."
According to the New York City Department of Education, two of the alleged attackers—a pair of seventh-graders—were arrested.
"We take bullying very seriously and have programs to address this," the department said in a statement. "The principal reported it and police were called."
Ulysse has undergone two surgeries, his father said, but doctors were unable to restore his sight. A cornea transplant is next, he said.
- Crime & Justice
- Politics & Government