Nightline Fix

• Phone Scams: Why People Keep Falling for the Oldest Scam in the Book

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 1 day ago

It was 11 o’clock in the morning when Luann and Betty Ann’s world was shattered with a single phone call.

“He says, ‘Do you have a daughter or a son?’ And I said, ‘Yes, I have a daughter,’” Luann said. “And he said, ‘Oh boy, there’s been a terrible accident. Four cars at an intersection. Everyone is unconscious.’”

“He said, ‘What kind of car does she have?’ And I said, ‘It’s a Kia,’” she continued. “And he said, ‘Oh yeah, there’s a Kia here. She’s unconscious.’”

The two women, who asked that their full names not be used, didn’t know who the man on the phone was but, terrified for their daughter’s life, they jumped into their own car and headed out to look for her, staying on the phone with the stranger.

“I am thinking my daughter is laying on a highway somewhere unconscious,” Betty Ann said. “And the scariest part was we didn’t even know where she was. They wouldn’t say exactly where she was.”

But then, the story took an unexpected, and even more frightening, turn.

“I never felt terror before in my life,” Luann said. “This was absolute terror, having your child’s life in your hands.”

A heightened emotional state, such as the con artist claiming he has kidnapped someone’s child.

• Do Used Car Dealers Know about Open Airbag Recalls?

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 3 days ago

There are approximately 8 million cars subject to an airbag recall today, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Ten automakers in total have been affected by the recalls.

Stephanie Erdman, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, was a driver of one of the affected cars.

The 29-year-old from San Antonio, Texas, bought a used 2002 Honda Civic in 2006. Erdman says she was never made aware that a few years after she purchased the vehicle, the airbags were recalled. Then, in September, 2013 she got into an accident in her car which severely injured her.

“The airbags deployed and I had a massive strike on my right side," Erdman said of the accident. “I just blinded out on that side and I just felt this dripping blood… It was absolutely horrible.”

Erdman later found out it was a piece of twisted metal that struck her, which she says shot out of the airbag and into her face.

“It’s an airbag,” she told ABC News. “It’s supposed to protect me.”

“The very device that's designed to provide supplemental restraint or protection in a crash is what's actually causing the injuries to people,” Erdman’s lawyer, Rob Ammons told ABC News.

• Bill Cosby Sex Assault Accuser: 'I Saw No Way Out'

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 4 days ago

Joan Tarshis is the latest woman to join the firestorm over the Bill Cosby sexual abuse allegations.

She told ABC News today that her friends introduced her to the comedian, then starring in his first sitcom, in 1969 when she was 19 years old and visiting Los Angeles. At the time, she was working as a comedy writer and said she had come up with a bit about a recent earthquake.

“He took a liking to me and I liked him too, he was really funny he was really friendly,” Tarshis said. “We made jokes with each other … and he said, ‘well come up to my cabin, my cottage, after I’m done working and I’d like to work on this with you.’ … I thought, ‘cool,’ ... here’s another credit I can use to write more comedy,’ so I went up.”

That day, Tarshis said Cosby poured her a Bloody Mary and topped it off with beer. Tarshis, who told ABC News she was dealing with a drinking problem at the time and has been in recovery since 1988, says she believes she was drugged.

ABC News' Cecilia Vega and Emily Friedman contributed to this report.

• How Parents Saved Their Daughter From Alleged Kidnapper's Hands

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 11 days ago

The Utah parents who said they negotiated with an apparent kidnapper on their front lawn to let their 5-year-old daughter go called the happy ending “perfect” and described themselves as “so grateful.”

Aaron and Stephanie Holladay Edson were sleeping in their home near Salt Lake City, Utah, Friday morning when she was awakened by what her husband called, “women’s intuition.”

“I woke up, not to a noise, nothing woke me up -- and I looked at my cell phone because it was next to my bed and it was 4:07 a.m.,” Stephanie Edson said today on “Good Morning America.” “I remember thinking, 'I’m not tired. I’m awake. This is weird.' And I was fully, mentally alert.

“I was able to hear the things that were able to save my daughter -- such as I heard just kind of a dull thud and then I could hear Lainey’s voice. And I couldn’t make out what she was saying, but she’s my little talker,” she added of Lainey, 5. “She has a minor physical handicap and, with that, comes a gait pattern that, as her mother, I know very, very clearly and there were no footsteps. I knew something was wrong.”

She recalled what Lainey said when they got back inside the house.

• 'Bye Felipe' Instagram Account Calls Out Vulgar Online Daters

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 15 days ago

The California woman who created the viral Instagram account @ByeFelipe says she did so to “publicly shame” men who send angry messages to women after being dissed in online dating sites.

“I decided to publicly shame them and I wanted the world to see this is what our inbox looks like,” Alexandra Tweten told ABC News.

Tweten said she created the account after receiving one of the angry messages herself. Just three weeks later, the account has gained nearly 200,000 followers.

“Bye Felipe” users submit screenshots of their conversations that are then shared on the Instagram account.

“They come after women’s number one insecurity, which is their looks,” Tweten said of the messages, which are often full of expletives.

With an estimated 40 million Americans using online dating services, the “Bye Felipe” account has struck a chord.

Dating expert and author Laurel House said the anonymity of the Web opens the door for nasty messages.

“If you don’t see the guy, then he definitely feels he can be whoever he wants to be,” House told ABC News.

• Alleged Cop Killer Eric Frein Captured

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 22 days ago

Accused cop killer Eric Frein, one of the FBI's 10 Most Wanted Fugitives, was captured after a 48-day manhunt, police said tonight.

"Eric Frein was dedicated to killing law enforcement members," Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner Frank Noonan said in a news conference with Gov. Tom Corbett. "I can't think of a more dangerous occupation than going out into those woods and looking for him."

Noonan said several thousand members of various departments in at least five states spent countless hours looking for Frein.

Frein, 31, was captured by U.S. Marshals outside an abandoned airplane hanger at Birchwood-Pocono Airport near Tannersville about 6 p.m. Thursday, police said.

Frein had a sniper rifle and knives but no shots were fired during his capture, said Noonan. He was taken to the State Police barracks in Blooming Grove, the same place where he allegedly ambushed two state troopers.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Air Force cadet’s secret story

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 23 days ago

As the Air Force Academy football team heads to West Point for the big game against Army this weekend, the new superintendent is going on the offense as the best defense against allegations the school has a culture of tolerating sexual violence by football players and other cadet athletes.

"We want to acknowledge it, we own it and we want to move on. We want to do better," said Lt. General Michelle Johnson in an interview to be broadcast tonight on "ABC World News with David Muir" and "Nightline".

Johnson was appointed superintendent after an investigation led to the court-martials of two football players for sexual assault and the dismissals or resignations of 15 other cadets.

The case was first reported by the Colorado Springs Gazette.

“It’s profoundly disappointing, especially at our institution,” said Johnson, adding the Air Force does not intend to deny there had been a problem she described as "bad."

“I feel like now that this has been out in the media, we hold each other better accountable,” said Christian Spears, a member of the Air Force football team.

• Jake Gyllenhaal's Grueling 'Nightcrawler' Transformation

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 25 days ago

Hollywood’s latest movie inspiration has been drawn from horrific, high-speed, heart-stopping, caught-on-tape moments.

In “Nightcrawler,” which is in theaters nationwide on Friday, Jake Gyllenhaal plays the man behind the camera, a hungry freelancer named Lou Bloom who hopes to make it big by capturing the exclusive on film and peddling it to a local TV station.

“He’s part of a generation of people who are looking for jobs in a world where jobs are redefining themselves,” Gyllenhall said. “He’s a thief, a sort of petty thief at the beginning at the movie. He runs across this accident scene and he sees these stringers, these guys who film accidents and crimes and stuff for the local news, and he finds his calling in an instant.”

To become Lou Bloom, Gyllenhaal drew inspiration from one of Southern California’s nocturnal creatures.

“I wanted him to look like a coyote,” he said. “And in order to do that, I had to look hungry and be hungry.”

Gyllenhaal meant that literally. He lost nearly 30 pounds for the role by eating a diet of kale salads and running regularly.

• Secrets of an Identity Thief

ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 29 days ago

Driving around Seattle with "Alice," a convicted ID thief who didn't want her own identity revealed, was an education.

“She knew where all the places where to go ... the easiest cars to break into,” Shadel said.

Driving around a parking lot, Alice pointed out the cars she would likely target.

“Out-of-state plate, so we are probably going to hit that car because it’s parked over in the corner," she said. "It’s easy to get into without somebody seeing."

The out-of-state license plate signaled to Alice that the driver had probably traveled with lots of personal information.

She also pointed out seemingly unlikely targets, like work vans. “They usually had like full on credit cards to bill companies,” she said.

And cars with backpacks that are sitting out in the open. “It’s just full of goodies. It always is.”

In just a few months Alice and her colleagues stole $900,000, Shadel said, noting that "she had a little group."

"One guy who could make IDs. Another who knew how to swipe all the laptops and put them up in the cloud. It was quite a little posse of identity thieves,” Shadel said.

• 'Back to the Future' Today? Inventor Pushes for Hoverboard

Nightline Fix 1 mth ago

Ever since Marty McFly hopped aboard his pink hoverboard in 1989's Back to the Future Part II, the world has been waiting for real scientists and engineers to catch up. Now, finally, it appears that you can get your hands on one - if you have $10,000.

In the 90s the film’s director Robert Zemeckis cruelly spread rumours that a commercial version was under development, raising hopes around the world before scientists dashed them with a dose of reality - the problem was just too hard.

But now a Californian startup claims to have cracked it and developed a working prototype, although there are several catches: the battery only lasts seven minutes, it will only float over smooth metal and it costs $10,000. There is also a limited supply of just ten hoverboards available.

Hendo Hover has turned to Kickstarter to crowdfund the $250,000 it needs to create the first run of products. It claims to need the money to put the “finishing touches” to its device.

The company claims that those donating to get a hoverboard will be presented with the devices today, but only $3,856 of the target of $250,000 has so far been raised, meaning that nobody with deep pockets has yet taken the plunge.