ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 2 days ago
Two former Vanderbilt University football players on trial for sexually assaulting a female classmate in a campus dorm room were found guilty Tuesday.
A Nashville jury took just a few hours to decide Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey were guilty of four counts of aggravated rape, one count of attempted aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg was also found guilty of tampering with evidence and unlawful photography after prosecutors claimed he recorded the sexual assault on his phone and shared it with friends.
Vanderburg and Batey's bond has been revoked and they will be sentenced on March 6.
Two other ex-players accused of being involved in the incident, Brandon Banks and Jaborian McKenzie, also face charges of rape and sexual battery, but have not yet gone to trial. All four pleaded not guilty.
Prosecutors say the 21-year-old woman -- a former neuroscience major and dance team member at the university -- was allegedly drunk and passed out when the 2013 incident occurred. ABC News has declined to name the victim.
ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 8 days ago
College sophomore Bobby Christman was sitting in his friend Jenn’s parked car near a nightclub in downtown St. Louis when the unthinkable happened.
An attacker forced open the back door of the car to grab Jenn’s purse, and when Christman, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, tried to intervene, he was shot in the head and later died at the hospital. Christman’s funeral was held last week, and his attacker remains at large.
Veteran detectives say that while Christman’s actions may have been courageous, people can learn lessons from the tragic outcome. Often times, thieves aren’t looking to steal your wallet, they’re after your car. Almost 700,000 cars were stolen in 2013, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
1. Just Give The Theives What They Want
If you have a child in the car with you, Giacalone said always take the child with you and tell the thieves you have a child in the car.
2. Beware of Bumper Taos and $20 Tricks
3. Park Close To Parking Exits, and Back Into Spaces
ABC News Nightline at Nightline Fix 1 mth ago
The film “Exodus: Gods and Kings” isn’t due out for another two weeks, but the movie's focus on the life of Moses is already being criticized because the actors in its major roles are whites playing Egyptians.
The movie stars Christian Bale as Moses, Aaron Paul as Joshua, Sigourney Weaver as Tuya and Joel Edgerton as Rhamses.On Twitter, the hashtag #boycottexodusmovie is trending, with posters airing their displeasure with the casting.
One poster wrote: “I actually wanted to see #BoycottExodusMovie but I won't waste my money on something some historically inaccurate.”
Another added: “Blacks only cast as slaves, thieves...Not the Kings and Queens? I hope @ExodusMovie bombs at the box office..”
There are several other actors of color in the film’s cast, including Ben Kingsley, Dar Salim and Indira Varma.
Ramin Setoodeh, an editor with Variety, says Hollywood has a big diversity problem.
Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson has spoken out to ABC News for the first time publicly since fatally shooting a black teenager, Michael Brown, and he said that he would not do anything differently.
Speaking exclusively to ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, Wilson said that Brown reached into his police car and grabbed for his gun, causing Wilson to fear for his life.
"All I wanted to do was live," said Wilson, who the grand jury declined to indict in connection with the fatal shooting in August.
He told ABC News about the struggle he faced with Brown as the teen allegedly punched Wilson in the face.
"I didn't know if I'd be able to withstand another hit like that," Wilson said.
"I had reached out my window with my right hand to grab onto his forearm 'cause I was gonna try and move him back and get out of the car to where I'm no longer trapped," Wilson said.
It was 11 o’clock in the morning when Luann and Betty Ann’s world was shattered with a single phone call.
“He says, ‘Do you have a daughter or a son?’ And I said, ‘Yes, I have a daughter,’” Luann said. “And he said, ‘Oh boy, there’s been a terrible accident. Four cars at an intersection. Everyone is unconscious.’”
“He said, ‘What kind of car does she have?’ And I said, ‘It’s a Kia,’” she continued. “And he said, ‘Oh yeah, there’s a Kia here. She’s unconscious.’”
The two women, who asked that their full names not be used, didn’t know who the man on the phone was but, terrified for their daughter’s life, they jumped into their own car and headed out to look for her, staying on the phone with the stranger.
“I am thinking my daughter is laying on a highway somewhere unconscious,” Betty Ann said. “And the scariest part was we didn’t even know where she was. They wouldn’t say exactly where she was.”
But then, the story took an unexpected, and even more frightening, turn.
“I never felt terror before in my life,” Luann said. “This was absolute terror, having your child’s life in your hands.”
A heightened emotional state, such as the con artist claiming he has kidnapped someone’s child.
There are approximately 8 million cars subject to an airbag recall today, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Ten automakers in total have been affected by the recalls.
Stephanie Erdman, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, was a driver of one of the affected cars.
The 29-year-old from San Antonio, Texas, bought a used 2002 Honda Civic in 2006. Erdman says she was never made aware that a few years after she purchased the vehicle, the airbags were recalled. Then, in September, 2013 she got into an accident in her car which severely injured her.
“The airbags deployed and I had a massive strike on my right side," Erdman said of the accident. “I just blinded out on that side and I just felt this dripping blood… It was absolutely horrible.”
Erdman later found out it was a piece of twisted metal that struck her, which she says shot out of the airbag and into her face.
“It’s an airbag,” she told ABC News. “It’s supposed to protect me.”
“The very device that's designed to provide supplemental restraint or protection in a crash is what's actually causing the injuries to people,” Erdman’s lawyer, Rob Ammons told ABC News.
Joan Tarshis is the latest woman to join the firestorm over the Bill Cosby sexual abuse allegations.
She told ABC News today that her friends introduced her to the comedian, then starring in his first sitcom, in 1969 when she was 19 years old and visiting Los Angeles. At the time, she was working as a comedy writer and said she had come up with a bit about a recent earthquake.
“He took a liking to me and I liked him too, he was really funny he was really friendly,” Tarshis said. “We made jokes with each other … and he said, ‘well come up to my cabin, my cottage, after I’m done working and I’d like to work on this with you.’ … I thought, ‘cool,’ ... here’s another credit I can use to write more comedy,’ so I went up.”
That day, Tarshis said Cosby poured her a Bloody Mary and topped it off with beer. Tarshis, who told ABC News she was dealing with a drinking problem at the time and has been in recovery since 1988, says she believes she was drugged.
ABC News' Cecilia Vega and Emily Friedman contributed to this report.
The Utah parents who said they negotiated with an apparent kidnapper on their front lawn to let their 5-year-old daughter go called the happy ending “perfect” and described themselves as “so grateful.”
Aaron and Stephanie Holladay Edson were sleeping in their home near Salt Lake City, Utah, Friday morning when she was awakened by what her husband called, “women’s intuition.”
“I woke up, not to a noise, nothing woke me up -- and I looked at my cell phone because it was next to my bed and it was 4:07 a.m.,” Stephanie Edson said today on “Good Morning America.” “I remember thinking, 'I’m not tired. I’m awake. This is weird.' And I was fully, mentally alert.
“I was able to hear the things that were able to save my daughter -- such as I heard just kind of a dull thud and then I could hear Lainey’s voice. And I couldn’t make out what she was saying, but she’s my little talker,” she added of Lainey, 5. “She has a minor physical handicap and, with that, comes a gait pattern that, as her mother, I know very, very clearly and there were no footsteps. I knew something was wrong.”
She recalled what Lainey said when they got back inside the house.
The California woman who created the viral Instagram account @ByeFelipe says she did so to “publicly shame” men who send angry messages to women after being dissed in online dating sites.
“I decided to publicly shame them and I wanted the world to see this is what our inbox looks like,” Alexandra Tweten told ABC News.
Tweten said she created the account after receiving one of the angry messages herself. Just three weeks later, the account has gained nearly 200,000 followers.
“Bye Felipe” users submit screenshots of their conversations that are then shared on the Instagram account.
“They come after women’s number one insecurity, which is their looks,” Tweten said of the messages, which are often full of expletives.
With an estimated 40 million Americans using online dating services, the “Bye Felipe” account has struck a chord.
Dating expert and author Laurel House said the anonymity of the Web opens the door for nasty messages.
“If you don’t see the guy, then he definitely feels he can be whoever he wants to be,” House told ABC News.