The Sideshow
  • A blue lobster caught near Nova Scotia (Bobby Stoddard)

    Bobby Stoddard is a second-generation lobster-boat captain. But the rare blue lobster Stoddard caught off the coast of Nova Scotia was something his father had seen only once before in more than a half century as a professional fisherman.

    "This is the only one that I've ever seen," Stoddard told CNN. "And my dad has been a lobsterman of about 55 years, and he caught one about 45 years ago, but hadn't seen one since."

    The University of Maine Lobster Institute says that blue lobsters are a 1-in-2-million phenomenon, with their unique hue originating from a genetic variation that triggers a protein in the lobster creating the blue shell coloring. In 2009, a even more rare yellow lobster was caught in Canada. The yellow lobster has an orange and yellow hue, similar to lobsters that have been cooked. Yellow lobsters are a 1-in-30-million occurrence.

    Stoddard has unsuccessfully tried to donate the blue wonder to a local ocean institute that "didn't seem too interested," in his find. His girlfriend suggested Stoddard sell the lobster on a classified-ad site. But after several "weird" emails and phone calls, Stoddard pulled the ad.

    "I'm kind of a shy guy," he said. "When things get controversial, I kind of go hide. This is what I do for a living; I catch lobsters and sell them. I'm just trying to do the right thing. I thought, 'I just don't need this hassle.' "

    In the meantime, the blue lobster is residing safely inside a holding tank at Stoddard's business. If only to uphold the standards of truth in advertising, the crustacean hopefully won't end up on the menu at Red Lobster. However, the Associated Press notes that blue lobsters turn the same color as other lobsters when they are cooked.

    "I don't know what the best thing is to do," Stoddard told CNN. "It probably belongs back in the ocean, but I'd like for as many people as possible to see it."

    Read More »from Rare blue lobster caught in Canada
  • Would you like sweet potato fries with that? (Burger King/AP)

    Would you buy a bacon sundae? Burger King is betting you will.

    The fast-food chain famous for the Whopper will introduce the limited-time dessert on Thursday as part of its new summer menu. The 510-calorie sundaevanilla soft serve topped with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of baconhas 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

    Earlier this year, Burger King rolled out an expanded menu with healthier farefruit smoothies, wraps and saladswith an advertising campaign featuring soccer star David Beckham. The bacon sundae, available through Sept. 3, would seem to be a strategic move in the polar opposite directionand something akin to Jack in the Box's 1,081-calorie bacon milkshake, which debuted in February.

    It also seems to be an attempt to answer Taco Bell's wildly popular Doritos Locos Taco, which became "the most successful product launch in the chain's history" after 100 million were sold in the 10 weeks following its launch in March.

    Taco Bell, for its part, is going "upscale." The "Cantina Bell" menu, debuting in July, will have "fresh ingredients such as black beans, 'fire-roasted' corn salsa, cilantro rice, pico de gallo and citrus- and herb-marinated chicken that many consumers have come to associate with Chipotle," according to Advertising Age.

    Burger King's summer menu also includes a Memphis pulled-pork BBQ sandwich, Carolina BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, Texas BBQ Whopper or chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries and frozen lemonade.

    Read More »from Burger King to introduce bacon sundae
  • Jackson Memorial Hospital, where Ronald Poppo is being treated. (AP)Doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Florida have released photos of Ronald Poppo, the homeless man who had significant portions of his face bitten off on May 26 during an attack by the "Causeway Cannibal," Rudy Eugene.

    Poppo is said to be awake and alert, while doctors continue to treat his injuries. The hospital has set up a donation fund for Poppo. If you'd like to donate to Poppo's recovery, you can do so directly at the Jackson Memorial Foundation website that the hospital has set up in his name. So far, the donation effort has reportedly raised $15,000 for Poppo's recovery.

    CBS4 Miami reports that Jackson Memorial has released a photo of Poppo walking down a hospital hallway with the assistance of hospital staff. The photo at the link to the news story blurs Poppo's face but does provide an additional link to extremely graphic photos of his face. We've chosen to give readers an opportunity to contribute to Poppo's recovery fund rather than to focus on the sensational and disturbing nature of the pictures.

    Doctors said during a Tuesday press conference that while Poppo lost his nose and one of his eyes during the attack, they are hopeful that he will regain some vision in his remaining eye.

    Amazingly, Poppo is said to be following the NBA playoffs, and reportedly expressed his support for the local team, telling doctors, "Go Heat." However, Poppo is also reportedly concerned over the way he has been portrayed in the media, which is part of the reason he is listening only to sports news on the radio.

    Doctors said that Poppo lost about 50 percent of his face in the attack, not the 75 percent that was previously reported. They described Poppo as "very charming and positive," according to CBS.

    Read More »from How to donate to Miami ‘cannibal’ victim Ronald Poppo’s recovery fund

Pagination

(2,378 Stories)
  • Midday Glance: Gold companies

    Shares of some top gold companies are down at 1 p.m.: Barrick Gold Corp. fell $.38 or 2.0 percent, to $18.35. Gold Fields fell $.10 or 2.4 percent, to $4.13. GoldCorp. fell $.95 or 3.3 percent, to $27.44. ...

  • Today in History

    Today is Thursday, August 21, the 233th day of 2014. There are 132 days left in the year.

  • Midday Glance: Railroad companies

    Shares of some top railroad companies are mixed at 1 p.m.: CSX fell $.24 or .8 percent, to $30.63. Canadian National Railway Co. rose $.38 or .5 percent, to $69.86. Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. fell $.74 ...

  • Oakland Reverses 80-Year Ban on Pinball Machines, Celebrates With Monthlong Tournament
    Oakland Reverses 80-Year Ban on Pinball Machines, Celebrates With Monthlong Tournament

    Not since the fictional town of Bomont in the movie "Footloose" lifted its ban on dancing have more people rejoiced in in their freedom of entertainment than in Oakland, California, where just last month an 80-year ban on the public use of pinball machines was removed. Yes, pinball machines. Back in the 1930s, the Bay Area city laid down the law prohibiting the machines because they were being used for illegal gambling.

  • Live updates: Ferguson protests, Day 10
    Live updates: Ferguson protests, Day 10

    It was another episode of chaos and unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, on Monday night and early Tuesday as two people were shot and 78 people arrested — including some journalists — during clashes between police and protesters just hours after Gov. Jay Nixon lifted a curfew in the hopes that National Guard troops could maintain order.

  • Boko Haram takes over another Nigeria town
    Boko Haram takes over another Nigeria town

    Boko Haram has seized control of a town in northeastern Nigeria, the latest to fall into Islamist hands in the crisis-hit region and an indication of the group's increasing territorial ambitions. The insurgents have tended to use hit-and-run attacks in the past but the recent seizure of towns suggests a significant shift in strategy, more in keeping with their stated goal of carving out a strict Islamic state in northeastern Nigeria. Residents who fled the assault on the fallen town of Buni Yadi in Yobe state said attacks began late last month and the insurgents have since taken over the main government building. "So many people from Buni Yadi have fled to the state capital Damaturu," he added.

  • Moody quits Palace after Cardiff file sparks FA probe
    Moody quits Palace after Cardiff file sparks FA probe

    Iain Moody resigned as sporting director of Premier League side Crystal Palace on Thursday after a file alleging misconduct during his time with Cardiff was sent by the Welsh club to the Football Association. According to a report in Britain's Daily Mail, the file alleges that both Moody and Malky Mackay, who was sacked as Cardiff manager by Malaysian owner Vincent Tan in December 2013, sent a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages to one another during their time with the Welsh side. Two months after Mackay's departure his right-hand man Moody was fired by Cardiff, going on to join Palace's management staff. A Palace statement issued Thursday said: "In light of the events of yesterday, sporting director Iain Moody has tendered his resignation and it has been accepted with immediate effect.

  • AP NewsBreak: Navy kicks out 34 for nuke cheating
    AP NewsBreak: Navy kicks out 34 for nuke cheating

    WASHINGTON (AP) — At least 34 sailors are being kicked out of the Navy for their roles in a cheating ring that operated undetected for at least seven years at a nuclear power training site, and 10 others are under criminal investigation, the admiral in charge of the Navy's nuclear reactors program told The Associated Press.

Follow Yahoo! News