Osama, Obama, Macca (Getty Images)
Seven percent of American voters believe the moon landing was faked, 6 percent say Osama bin Laden is still alive, and 13 percent think President Barack Obama is the Antichrist.
According to the poll of 1,247 registered American voters, 37 percent believe global warming is a hoax. Among Republicans, the poll found that 58 percent believe global warming is a hoax, while just 25 percent do not. Among Democrats, 11 percent believe global warming is a hoax, while 77 percent do not.
Nearly a third (29 percent) of those polled believe aliens exist, which could explain why 1 in 5 (21 percent) American voters says a UFO crashed in Roswell, N.M., in 1947 and that the U.S. government covered it up.
Fourteen percent, by contrast, believe in Bigfoot, the poll found.
Voters are split (44 percent say yes, 45 percent no) on whether President George W. Bush intentionally misled the American people about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. A vast majority (72 percent) of Democrats think Bush lied about WMDs while just 13 percent of Republicans think so.
Meanwhile, a majority of voters (51 percent) say a larger conspiracy was at work in the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination of President John F. Kennedy—just 25 percent say Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
And there are more than a few American voters who believe the government is evil:
• 14% of voters say the CIA was instrumental in creating the crack cocaine epidemic in America’s inner cities in the 1980s.
• 9% of voters think the government adds fluoride to our water supply for sinister reasons (not just dental health).
• 15% of voters say the government or the media adds mind-controlling technology to TV broadcast signals.
• 5% believe exhaust seen in the sky behind airplanes is actually chemicals sprayed by the government for sinister reasons.
• 15% of voters think the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry “invent” new diseases to make money.
• 4% of voters say they believe shape-shifting “lizard people” control our world by taking on human form and gaining political power.
• 11% of voters believe the US government allowed 9/11 to happen (78% do not agree).
Perhaps most surprising: 5 percent of those polled believe Paul McCartney actually died in 1966 and was secretly replaced in the Beatles.
Maybe Macca's replacement was a lizard.
Click here for the full results.
- Politics & Government
- global warming
- President Barack Obama