WATCH LIVE:

The Sideshow

Pit bull saves family from house fire

The Sideshow

Pit bulls get a bad rap. But a 10-year-old pit bull terrier named Baby showed that controversial breed can be heroes.

KOCO.com reports that Baby helped to save a family from a burning home in Wellston, Okla. The family was asleep when smoke and flames began to engulf their house. According to Rhonda Westenberger, Baby saved the day by waking Westenberger and her sister, Evelyn.

[Related: Cop shuts down highway to rescue small dog]

"There were flames shooting down the hallway," said Westenberger. "If Baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of it."

Once the sisters were safe, the dog wasn't done yet. Realizing there were several dogs still in the house, Baby went back into the fire.

[Related: Pet parade brings out thousands of costumed dogs and Kevin Bacon]

"There was [one dog] hiding underneath the bed," said Charles Land, another family member. "Baby actually went in there grabbed it by the neck and drug it outside."

The house was destroyed in the fire, but the family is grateful they escaped with their lives. Officials believe the fire began when the clothes dryer malfunctioned.

View Comments (1650)