The official Republican Party group tasked with electing Republicans to the House will stop spending money to support Mark Sanford, the party's candidate for South Carolina's open House seat.
A spokeswoman for the National Republican Congressional Committee confirmed to Yahoo News that it no longer plans to invest in his race against Democratic candidate Elizabeth Colbert Busch. The decision to drop Sanford was first reported by Politico.
"At this time, the NRCC will not be engaged in this special election,” said NRCC spokeswoman Katie Prill.
The announcement came shortly after The Associated Press reported that Sanford's ex-wife, Jenny Sanford, had filed a complaint earlier this year against him for "trespassing." Mark Sanford said he was merely trying to watch the Super Bowl with his son.
The lack of funds from national Republicans will make his effort significantly more challenging in the weeks leading up to the special election, scheduled for May 7.
Democrats, meanwhile, are all in. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee continues to spend resources on the race, and a Democratic super PAC announced a six-figure ad campaign on Wednesday targeting Sanford.
- Politics & Government
- Mark Sanford
- Jenny Sanford