President Barack Obama in the Oval Office in September 2012. (Pete Souza/White House)
After days of dodging questions about a story reporting that a replica Oval Office is being built at the White House, White House press secretary Jay Carney on Wednesday publicly dismissed the report.
The reports "are false," Carney told reporters at Wednesday's White House press briefing. "No one is moving from the West Wing, including the president."
Real Clear Politics last week, citing several unnamed sources, reported that the replica Oval Office was being built for the president to use while the West Wing undergoes extensive renovations. Asked repeatedly to confirm or deny that story in the days since it was published, Carney refused to comment and referred reporters to the General Services Administration, which also refused to comment.
On Wednesday, Carney acknowledged that "constant work [is being] undertaken" in the West Wing to make improvements and renovations, but said he had no details about specific renovations.
- Politics & Government