The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Thursday, March 29, 2012.
Research by Search editor Mahlon Chute
The deaths of two icons prompted mourning across the Web and Twitter. A Pakistani acid attack victim took her own life after a decade of struggle. The passing of a bluegrass legend at age 88 renewed appreciation for his body of work. In the fictional realm, a comedy sequel in the making promises to resurrect a different kind of icon. See what else is inspiring the world across the Web.
- Fakhra Younus: The Pakistani acid attack victim and subject of more than a dozen reconstructive surgeries committed suicide in Rome on March 17. Related searches: fakhra yunus, pakistan acid victim
- Earl Scruggs: The 88-year-old banjo player and bluegrass legend died on Wednesday in Nashville, Tennessee. Related searches: earl scruggs banjo, foggy mountain breakdown, flatt and scruggs, earl scruggs biography, earl scruggs songs
- 'Anchorman' Sequel: Will Ferrell confirmed in a Wednesday night interview with Conan O'Brien that "Anchorman 2" is now green-lit for production. Ferrell appeared on "Conan" in-character as Ron Burgundy. Related searches: anchorman, will ferrell on conan, anchorman 2, anchorman quotes, ron burgundy quotes
NEWS & POLITICS
- North Sea Gas Leak: Environmentalists fear that the North Sea offshore rig that has been leaking highly pressurized gas may trigger a massive oil spill.
- Bobby Rush: The Illinois congressman called for an end to racial profiling on Wednesday in a House speech during which he donned a hoodie in protest of the killing of Trayvon Martin. Rush was reprimanded and escorted from the House. Related searches: bobby rush hoodie, congressman wears hoodie
- Trayvon Martin: A grainy video from Sanford police headquarters appears to show an uninjured George Zimmerman in handcuffs. The video has raised doubts about Zimmerman's claim that Trayvon Martin beat him and that the shooting was in self-defense. Lawyers for Zimmerman claim that the video is not clear and does not necessarily refute Zimmerman's claim. Related searches: george zimmerman's father
- Spike Lee: Lee recently tweeted a Florida address that he believed belonged to George Zimmerman, the shooter in the Trayvon Martin case; however, he had tweeted the wrong address and may now face a lawsuit. Lee has issued an apology for his mistweet.
- Marco Rubio: The Florida senator has now issued an endorsement of Mitt Romney but has not directly addressed speculation that he may be a candidate for vice president on the GOP ticket.
- George H. W. Bush: The former U.S. president is expected to formally endorse GOP hopeful Mitt Romney.
- Anne Hathaway: The actress has been cast to play Judy Garland in an upcoming biopic, "Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland." Hathaway is currently engaged to actor Adam Shulman.
- Ashton Kutcher: Kutcher is in talks to return to "Two and a Half Men" for another season; rumor has it that he may enjoy a raise to approximately $1 million per episode. Meanwhile, rumors that Kutcher and Rihanna are dating have been dispelled by Rihanna.
- Robin Gibb: The former Bee Gees member was admitted to the hospital for intestinal surgery and has canceled upcoming shows. Related searches: gibb brothers bee gees
- Stevie Nicks: Made an appearance on "American Idol" to act as a mentor for the remaining contestants.
- Duggars: The fifth season of "19 Kids and Counting" had its season finale on Tuesday. The episode dealt with the miscarriage of Michelle Duggar's 20th child, Jubilee.
- Megan Fox: Rumors that Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green are expecting their first child are building as an unnamed source has now told Star magazine that the rumors are true.
- Kate Winslet: Winslet attended the world premiere of "Titanic 3D" on Tuesday and later admitted that she was too embarrassed to watch 3D nude scenes and knocked her American accent. Related searches:kate winslet titanic, james cameron titanic errors
- Tami Roman Heart Attack: The reality star from "Basketball Wives" suffered a minor heart attack on Monday.
- Brandon Jacobs: The former New York Giants running back has signed a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers.
- Kevin Love: The Timberwolves' Kevin Love led the team to an 88-83 victory over the Bobcats.
- Mark Rypien: The former Washington Redskins quarterback is leading a class-action lawsuit against the NFL, with complaints that he suffered multiple traumatic head injuries.
- Jeremy Lin: Lin recently lunched with Anthony Federico, the ESPN editor sacked for referring to the basketball player using the phrase "chink in the armor." Lin stated that he bears no hard feelings against Federico.
- John Groce: The former Ohio coach has signed as head coach for the University of Illinois.
- Don Nelson: The second most successful coach in NBA history, with 1,335 wins to his name, has been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Broga: Yoga-style sessions formed to cater to men who are uncomfortable joining classes with women are gaining popularity.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
Marco Rubio endorses Mitt Romney
Body of 4-year-old Arkansas boy found in river
Charges filed against JetBlue pilot for midair meltdown
Romney edges into mop-up phase of campaign
Obama outspends Republican campaigns by millions
Spike Lee apologizes for address retweet
Santorum video evokes horror classics to bash Obama
Murdoch to "hit back hard" on piracy allegations
Castro asks Benedict: 'What does a pope do?'
911 caller arrested in deadly police shooting of teen
CNN - Latest News
No U.S. access to Afghan killing sites, official says
The night he shot Trayvon Martin
Will court let health care law stand?
Toobin: 'Mandate doomed'
Bluegrass great Earl Scruggs dies
General strike snarls Spanish capital
Activity seen at North Korea launch site
U.S. sanctions firms with Iran ties
Syrians wary as leaders plan to meet
Abuse cited, but school unchecked
Syria to dominate historic summit
Three prisoners executed in Japan
General strike under way in Spain
Obama health law hangs in balance
Amazon boss 'finds Moon engines'
Picture captures a billion stars
Bo scandal claims 'preposterous'
Gunman 'to be buried in France'
Swedish MP quits over Saudi deal
Brics agrees to explore bank plan
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video
- Mitt Romney