The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Monday April 16, 2012.
Research by Search editor Liz Streng
Who can take the heat? Marathoners did in Boston, as record highs resulted in record lows. Meantime, the heat is on Secret Service agents partying hard in Cartagena's Hotel Caribe. And despite the extra two days, there may still be some procrastinators in a heated rush to turn in something to Uncle Sam. Cool down and kick back by looking at what's hot on the Web today.
- Boston Marathon: The race today was the second slowest on record due to a battle against record-high temperatures reaching into the 80s. Despite the heat, Wesley Korir and Sharon Cherop, both from Kenya, emerged as victors.
- Secret Service Misconduct: Eleven Secret Service members, both agents and uniformed officers, sent to Colombia ahead of President Barack Obama were relieved of duty and returned home amid allegations of misconduct that involved prostitution and heavy drinking.
- Tax Deadline 2012: Tomorrow! People are searching on all kinds of tax-related terms, including "tax filing," "tax day giveaways," "federal tax extension form," "irs form 4868," and "internal revenue service."
NEWS & POLITICS
- Anders Behring Breivik: The far-right killer pleaded not guilty in the attacks in Norway that killed more than 70 people last year. Breivik, whose trial started today, said he acted to save Norway from Muslim colonization. Related searches: norway massacre
- San Francisco Yacht Race: Turbulent waters capsized a boat in the weekend Full Crew Farallones Race. The Coast Guard ended its search Sunday night for missing crew members. Three survived; one body has been found.
- Emancipation Day: The abolition of slavery is celebrated on different dates. Washington, D.C., celebrates on April 16 to honor the District of Columbia Emancipation Act, signed by Abraham Lincoln 150 years ago.
- K-E Diet: The crash diet involves inserting a nasal feeding tube for 10 days to lose 10-20 pounds quickly. Brides-to-be have been trying this rapid weight-loss method at a cost of $1,500.
- Nicolas Sarkozy: The French president got a no from Germany Monday when he called for a debate on the European Central Bank's role in promoting economic growth.
- Virginia Tech: Five years ago on this day, a gunman killed 32 people and then himself. The university for the first time didn't suspend classes to mark the anniversary.
- Reticulated Python: Police are investigating the death of a man in Japan who went to feed his son's 21-foot reticulated python. He was found with bite marks on his head and arm.
- Mitt Romney: The GOP presidential hopeful told ABC's Diane Sawyer that he is searching for a vice-presidential candidate. His former chief of staff from his days as governor, Beth Myers, will head the search.
BUSINESS & MONEY
- Dole Salad Recall 2012: More than 700 cases of prepackaged bagged salad has been returned for possible salmonella contamination. The recall includes bagged Seven Lettuces salads distributed in 15 states.
- AAPL: Apple shares dropped below $600 for the first time since March 30. Its quarterly results will be announced April 24. Earlier this month, an analyst predicted $1,000 shares in 2014.
- Coachella: The late rapper Tupac Shakur appeared as a hologram onstage with Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre on the last day of Southern California's weekend music festival. Related searches: 2pac, tupac, tupac coachella
- Gotye: The singer performed "Somebody That I Used to Know" with partner Kimbra on "Saturday Night Live" and then hopped to Coachella. Are you ready for the parodies yet? Did you have to stoop so low? According to Yahoo! Search, the song is obsessing all ages from preteens to 54, and mostly females (64% versus 36% male).
- Pottermore: Ready for more Potter? According to searches on Yahoo! (up 227% in the past seven days), Muggles are indeed excited that they can now get access to the website, although registration may be slow.
- Woody Allen: Italian reception has been mixed for the director's latest European-city love story, "To Rome With Love." The North American premiere opens the Los Angeles Film Festival on June 14 and will be in limited release starting June 22. His next movie will be mostly shot in San Francisco.
- Angelina Jolie Engagement Ring: Interest is laser-focused on the bling and how it's different from the one actor Brad Pitt gave his ex-wife Jennifer Aniston years ago. Jeweler Robert Procop designed it with Pitt's help over the course of a year. The paparazzi have been asking Aniston for her reaction. "Jennifer is happy for Brad and Angelina. She is so in love with Justin, that she is really grateful how things turned out," a source tells Hollywood Life.
- Kelli Cashiola: Lady Antebellum pianist Dave Haywood married the vice president at Warner Music just outside Nashville on Saturday.
- Robin Gibb Coma: The 62-year-old Bee Gees singer remains in a coma after contracting pneumonia. Suffering from liver and colon cancers, the singer had been making a bucket list.
- Stolen Tom Petty Guitars: Tom Petty has offered a "no questions asked" reward of $7,500 for his five guitars, stolen April 12.
- Piermario Morosini: The 25-year-old Italian soccer player collapsed and died during a Saturday game. Orphaned as a teenager, Morosini had a younger brother who recently committed suicide. He is survived only by his older sister, who is physically handicapped. "We know the situation of his sister and we as a team, the club, and Udinese for Life have decided to help her because she is in real need," Udinese star Antonio Di Natale told Udinese Channel. "It is essential to stay by the side of Piermario's sister for her entire life."
- 2-5-6-3 Triple Play: Sports fans waited 130 years before the Los Angeles Dodgers turned in a rare and controversial triple play in the ninth inning, for a 5-4 win over the San Diego Padres. Related searches: dodgers triple play
- Dwayne Schintzius: The 43-year-old former New Jersey Nets forward died Sunday afternoon from complications of leukemia.
- Jackie Robinson Tribute: Major League Baseball paid tribute to the pioneer who took the field with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Players, managers, coaches, and umpires wore number 42 in his honor.
- Tim Tebow Booed: The New York Jets QB was booed at the Yankees game he attended Sunday night. Also booed? Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade, who was sitting next to Tebow.
- Vancouver Canucks: The Los Angeles Kings shut out its northern rivals 0-1 in Game 3 of the hockey playoffs.
- Brian Stann: "All-American" Brian Stann knocked out Alessio Sakara in the first round of UFC on Fuel TV 2.
HEADLINES FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
- Bill Cosby on George Zimmerman: Guns, not race, real issue in Trayvon Martin case
- The K-E diet: Brides-to-be using feeding tubes to rapidly shed pounds
- Fox News 'mole' Joe Muto: 'It's pretty safe to say my career in cable news is over'
- Granny 'drug kingpin' busted in Oklahoma
- Obama calls for 'thorough' and 'rigorous' investigation of Secret Service scandal
- George Washington voted Britain's greatest enemy commander
- Pippa Middleton caught in gun-wielding scandal
- Prayers and silence mark Titanic centenary
- Norway killer admits massacre, claims self-defense
- New North Korean leader makes first public speech
Twitter Trends (USA)
- PFA Young Player Of The Year
- Boyfriend Music Video Tomorrow
- Sharon Cherop
- Charlie Batch
- Monster Pit
- Jim Yong Kim
- Video: North Korea's young leader breaks the mold
- Video: How will French election be decided?
- Norway rampage suspect claims self-defense justifies killings
- Berlusconi's 'bunga bunga' women testify at his trial
- Video: Opposition reports fresh Syrian military offensive as U.N. monitors begin work
- Video: Stolen penguin back safe in Australia Sea World
- What's next for women's rights in the Middle East?
- School denies boy graduation walk
- Video: GSA execs to testify on Las Vegas spending scandal
- Guinea-Bissau military leaders, political parties announce transitional council
USA Today Headlines
- Texas teen facing murder charges in van crash
- Romney advisers downplay policy remarks
- Obama, like Buffett, pays lower tax rate than secretary
- Gov. Christie offers 'rules' for town hall conduct
- Big gaps found in nursing homes' disaster plans
- China halts sale of medicine in unsafe capsules
- British peer accused of offering 'bounty' on Obama, Bush
- U.N. condemns North Korea rocket launch
- Warm weather gives ski season a cold shoulder
- Officials: Human remains possible at Titanic wreck site
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video
- Arts & Entertainment