The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Friday, March 30, 2012.
Research by Search editor Wilfred Abellon
Facebook is making layout changes mandatory. Spending eternity with your favorite meat product is now possible, and donkeys have taken to wild wandering in The South. Find out what else is piquing interest today across the Web.
- Facebook Timeline: The social network is making its timeline interface mandatory for all user pages starting at 11pm PST Friday night.
- Bacon Coffin: J&D Foods of Seattle insist that its release of a bacon-shaped and -scented coffin is not a hoax.
- Abandoned Donkeys: Lingering drought conditions have caused farmers to abandon hundreds of donkeys, who now wander in the wilds of Texas and northwest Louisiana.
NEWS & POLITICS
- Hoodie Day: Students at some Pittsburgh schools will wear hoodies to honor Trayvon Martin, shot Feb 26 allegedly because he looked like a threat.
- Oksana Makar: The Ukrainian rape victim passed away at the age of 18, weeks after she was attacked. The incident sparked protest and outrage across the country against political corruption after two of her attackers were released. Her mother released a video of a hospital bedside interview with her daughter.
- Autism: New statistics show that the rate is now up to about 1 in 88, an increase in 23% over the last two years.
- Reginald Velez: A Mount Vernon, N.Y., off-duty police officer died instantly after driving the wrong-way up a ramp and crashing head-on with an eighteen wheeler.
- Andrea Yates: The Texas woman, convicted in 2002 for drowning her five children in a bathtub, is asking to leave her mental hospital for two hours each week to attend church. Related searches: Rusty Yates
- Paul Ryan: The House Budget Committee Chair endorses Mitt Romney.
- Arlen Specter: The former Pennsylvania senator compared Mitt Romney to an adult film star.
BUSINESS AND MONEY
- Mega Millions: The drawing for the record-breaking $640 million will take place 8pm PT/11pm ET. Related searches: megamillions numbers, 540 million mega millions, winning lottery numbers, most winning lotto numbers
- Best Buy Closings: 50 big box stores are closing across the country. The company is now introducing a new scaled-back store called Best Buy Mobile. Related searches: best buy retailer
- Infiniti Hybrid: The vehicle makes the Guinness Book of World Records for being speedy and fuel-efficient.
- Millennial Media: The mobile advertising company nearly doubled its share value in an IPO on Thursday.
- PS4 Orbis: Sony's upcoming console, code-named Orbis, is rumored not to support PlayStation 3 and older-generation games, but will have higher resolution and the possibility of using a smartphone as a controller. Related searches: ps4
- The Giver: Jeff Bridges signs on to play the title role in Lois Lowry's 1993 dystopian children's novel.
- Christina Applegate Anchorman Sequel: The "Up All Night" star has not yet been signed on to the "Anchorman" sequel. Related searches: Ron Burgundy, Anchorman 2
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Viral video of a Canadian man singing the song in the back of a police car to prove he wasn't drunk.
- Jerry Lee Lewis: The 76-year-old piano legend is married for a seventh time. His new wife is his caregiver and ex-cousin-in-law Judith Brown.
- Heejun Idol: Despite the judges' standing ovation for his performance, Heejun Han was voted off "American Idol" but left his mark with a funny exit interview. Related searches: american idol, heejun american idol, heejun han, american idol results
- Scotty McCreery: The most recent champ returned to "American Idol" singing his new song, "Water Tower Town."
- Tulisa Contostavlos: The UK "X Factor" judge's sex tape has gone on sale.
- Katie Couric: The former NBC Today show host will guest-host on ABC's "Good Morning America" for one week starting April 2, to sub for Robin Roberts . Related searches: katie couric fired, katie couric boyfriend
- Carson Daly Bingham: "The Voice" host apologized for making homophobic JetBlue jokes on the radio after the mother of Flight 93 hero Mark Bingham reprimanded him. Related searches: clayton osbon
- Carl Pavano: The Minnesota Twins pitcher's childhood friend, Christian Michael Bedard allegedly threatened to release a book alleging an intimate relationship unless Pavano "bought him a navy Range Rover SUV with tan leather."
- Yoenis Cespedes: The center fielder scored his first home run with the Oakland Athletics, leading them to their first win of the season over the Seattle Mariners, 4-1.
- Jamie Moyer: The Colorado Rockies pitcher tries to make history by being the oldest pitcher to win a game at the age of 49.
- Bill Parcells: The former Dallas Cowboys coach would consider coming out of retirement to coach the New Orleans Saints in an effort to help his friend Sean Payton.
- Donovan McNabb: The quarterback slammed his former Washington Redskin coaches, Mike and Kyle Shanahan, in an interview on ESPN's "First Take."
- Final Four: Kentucky vs. Louisville and Ohio State vs. Kansas for the men's national semifinals, Stanford vs.. Texas A&M and UCONN vs. Notre Dame for the women's.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other sources.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
- What politicians' unscripted moments reveal
- Paul Ryan endorses Romney, and what to watch in politics
- Justices to meet for secret vote on health care law
- Bin Laden 'fathered four children while on run'
- Wisconsin preps for heated recall election of Gov. Scott Walker
- In post-Gaddafi Libya, Islamists are rising
- Billions of planets with life?
- 'Dude, it's beef!': Governors tour 'pink slime' plant
- Afghan policeman kills 9 sleeping fellow officers
- Recording catches teachers mistreating special needs student
Twitter Trends (USA)
- Stiliyan Petrov
- Gilberto Barros
- National Cleavage Day
- Dance Again
- Famous Lines
- Feliz Viernes
- Wrath of the Titans
- France arrests Islamist suspects
- Spain unveils 27bn euros of cuts
- Syria 'must begin ceasefire now'
- Mega Millions jackpot tops $540m
- Canada raises benefits age to 67
- Hemingway reveals feline distress
- Muamba tweets photo from hospital
- Kidney cancer rise 'obesity link'
- Blackberry-maker to shift focus
- Nature deficit 'harming children'
The Hollywood Reporter
- The Beatles Prevail in Trademark Dispute Over 'Beatle' Wheelchair
- Investment Banker Nets Seven Figure Book Deal After Scorching Op-Ed Calling Industry 'Toxic'
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Twins' Sequel 'Triplets' in the Works for Arnold, DeVito … and Eddie Murphy
- 'Human Centipede 3' Production Delayed As Producers, Dieter Laser Feud
- VIDEO: Tracy Morgan's Letterman Interview Features Wild Stories, Space Outs and Trademark Crazy
- Weekly International News Wrap: 'Twilight' Star In Cannes, Jean Reno on TV and Berlusconi Biopic
- EXCLUSIVE: Sony Picks Up Literary Adventure 'Royal Honour Society'
- BBC Fights Back in Spat With Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
- SAG/AFTRA Merger Vote Announcement to be Live Streamed
- Charlize Theron to be Honored With CinemaCon's Decade of Achievement Award
Catch up with the latest Trending Now video
- Mitt Romney