The early report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo and across the web for Monday, March 19, 2012.
Research done by Search editor Brandi Thompson,
Consumer communications manager Melissa Lang
- Peyton Manning. The quarterback is finalizing negotiations with the Denver Broncos, leaving fans to wonder where Tim Tebow will end up.
- Omar Sharif Jr. Actor Omar Sharif's grandson is worried about staying in Egypt after announcing recently that he is gay and half Jewish.
- Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. The soldier has been formally charged as a suspect in the Afghanistan massacre. Wife Karilyn Bales, who had regularly blogged about their lives, released a statement that said the act of killing 16 civilians was "completely out of character."
- North Platte Tornadoes. Damage assessment, which includes two injured, damaged homes, and 15 flipped train cars in a trainyard, continues in the wake of two tornadoes that hit Nebraska on Sunday night.
- Mauritania. A Libyan delegation is pressuring Mauritania to hand over Abdullah al-Senussi, Mu'ammar al-Gaddafi's former intelligence chief.
- Trayvon Martin. The family of the slain Florida teen has called for an FBI investigation. The black high school junior was walking home from a store when he was fatally shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman, who claimed self-defense. Related searches: trayvon martin police report, justice for trayvon martin, trayvon martin 911, george zimmerman trayvon
- New Smyrna Beach. A mother saved her 15-year-old daughter from a shark attack at the Florida beach.
- Julian Assange. The WikiLeaks founder will run for the Australian senate.
- Kate Middleton. The Duchess of Cambridge gave her first solo public speech at the opening of a children's hospice. Related searches: kate middleton baby, kate middleton speech, kate middleton march 2012.
BUSINESS & SHOPPING
- New HARP Refinance 2012. The government issued some new revisions to the Home Affordable Refinance Program in October, but recent software changes may really lead to a surge in refinancing.
- Sweden cash-free. Don't need that kind of tender -- the country's on its way to becoming a cashless society.
- Lehigh. After a surprise win over the Duke Blue Devils on Friday, the Lehigh Mountain Hawks are out of the NCAA tournament after losing to Xavier, 70-58.
- Matt Flynn. Agreed to a $26 million, three-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.
- Rihanna Tattoo. The singer recently got a sideways crucifix tattooed on her collarbone.
- Bethenny Frankel. The reality TV star does pushups on Anderson Cooper's talk show, and the audience gets, shall we say, briefed.
- Simone Farrow. The swimsuit model has been arrested in Australia after skipping bail. Farrow was charged in 2009 with running an international drug ring.
- Hunger Games. The movie, out March 23, has nearly four times the searches on Yahoo! in the past 30 days than compared to "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II." Related searches: Jennifer Lawrence, Elizabeth Banks, Hunger Games nail polish, Katniss braid, Catching Fire, Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
What's popular on Yahoo!, Twitter, Google Trends, CNN, BBC, Hollywood Reporter, and other outlets.
Yahoo! News Most Popular
• Senegal music star Youssou Ndour hits campaign trail
• Omar Sharif Jr. Comes Out as Gay, Half-Jewish: 'Am I Welcome in Egypt?'
• Swimsuit Model Accused of Heading International Drug Ring Captured
• 4 Republican justices control fate of health law
• Drug-resistant "white plague" lurks among rich and poor
• Neighborhood Watchman Who Allegedly Shot Trayvon Martin Wanted to Be a Cop
• Mr. Universe 1952 Turns 100, Credits Healthy Lifestyle, Happiness
• U.S. man convicted in 'enormous' tax scam that involved hundreds of Canadians
Twitter Trends (USA)
New York Times Most Popular
• At Home, Asking How 'Our Bobby' Became War Crime Suspect
• Paul Krugman: Hurray for Health Reform
• Gunman Kills 4 at a Jewish School in France
• Gray Matter: Why Bilinguals Are Smarter
• Flush With Cash, Apple Plans Buyback and Dividend
• Manning Is Said to Be Headed to Broncos
• Mets' Owners Agree to Settle Madoff Suit for $162 Million
• The Fifth Down: Peyton Manning's Decision, and the Trickle-Down Effect
• Bill Keller: Falling In and Out of War
• Rocket Plunge to Deep End of the Plane
CNN Most Popular
• Stunned friends recall good deeds of Afghanistan killings suspect
• Are jobs obsolete?
• Judge declares mistrial in 'Desperate Housewives' lawsuit
• High security alert after 4 killed in shooting at French Jewish school
• Crews find balloonist who fell from 17,000 feet amid storm
• Luxury cruise liner involved in collision off Vietnam
• Peyton Manning: From Colt to Bronco?
• Fears for stricken soccer player Muamba's recovery
• 2 dead in avalanche in Norway
• Something's rattling small Wisconsin town
- Omar Sharif