The weekday report for the topics and people that are trending on
Yahoo! and across the Web for Monday, April 2, 2012.
Research by Search editor Margaret Guzman
Yet another Russian plane crash highlights the country's poor record. Awareness worldwide draws attention to increasing number of autism cases. Also eye-catching, new Wrestlemania records. Keep your eye on what's happening on the Web with today's update.
- Autism Awareness: The United Nations General Assembly declared April 2 World Autism Awareness Day. Related searches: autism speaks, autism awareness
- ATR 72 Aircraft: A passenger plane crashed in Siberia shortly after taking off Monday morning, killing 32 of the 43 people on board.
- The Rock vs John Cena: The Rock, aka Dwayne Johnson, defeated John Cena in a sell-out crowd Sunday night. The WWE broke a new attendance record at Sun Life stadium with more than 78,000 fans. The event also broke WWE records as the highest grossing event, earning $8.9 million. Related searches: WWE Wrestlemania, Wrestlemania 28, WWE Wrestlemania 2012 results, Wrestlemania XXVII
NEWS & POLITICS
- 1940 Census: At 9 a.m., the federal government unsealed individual records from the 1940 U.S. Census — 72 years after they were made. You can see them here. Related searches: 1940 Census Online Free, 1940 Census Records, 1940 Us Census Information
- Wisconsin Primary: This week's primary election to watch is Tuesday in Wisconsin, where Mitt Romney currently leads Rick Santorum in polls.
- Abake Assongba: The top Obama re-election campaign donor has been accused of fraud.
- Why Is Sugar Toxic: On "60 Minutes," Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported on new research showing that beyond weight gain, sugar can take a serious toll on your health, worsening conditions ranging from heart disease to cancer. Related searches: Is sugar toxic, sugar, blood sugar levels
- Zimmerman: An expert in the field of forensic voice identification believes the voice heard calling for help in the background during the Trayvon Martin 911 call to police is not that of George Zimmerman. Related searches: Trayvon
- ACM Awards: The Academy of Country Music Awards, co-hosted by Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire, saw Shelton get his first male vocalist award, trumping Aldean, Chesney, Brad Paisley, and Chris Young. Related searches: ACM Awards 2012 Country Music Awards, CMA Awards,
- The Killing: AMC's criticized crime drama returned with a two-hour premiere on Sunday night.
- Game Of Thrones: The critically acclaimed HBO series kicked off its second season Sunday night. Its first season earned several Emmy and Golden Globe nominations, including an Emmy win for best supporting actor, Peter Dinklage. Related searches: Game of Thrones wiki
- Total Recall: The official trailer has been released for the remake of the 1990 science fiction favorite. Related searches: Total Recall 2012
- Earl Scruggs: The late banjo legend was remembered as an influential, helpful and humble player who put his own mark on bluegrass music. Some 2,300 mourners attended Scruggs' public funeral at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, a place he had played his songs for years on the Grand Ole Opry stage and where he recorded his final album. Related searches: Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Foggy Mountain Breakdown
- Dierks Bentley: The singer performed his smash hit song 'Home' at the 2012 ACM Awards, after being introduced by Bono.
- Miranda Lambert: "The rule of threes was in effect for the singer at the Academy of Country Music Awards as she won her third consecutive female vocalist of the year award and a record-tying third album of the year honor Sunday night." -- The Associated Press
- Emmylou Harris: The singer/songwriter and winner of 12 Grammys celebrates her 65th birthday.
- Katie Couric: Co-hosting "Good Morning America" this week.
- Aubrey O Day: The pop singer walked out of the boardroom on "Celebrity Apprentice." She later said she didn't intend to leave the show, she "just needed to cool off."
- Andrew Bynum: The all-star center sustained a moderate sprain in his left ankle and had to leave Sunday's game against the Warriors in the first quarter.
- Brock Lesnar: The former heavyweight UFC champ is rumored to be returning to WWE.
- Ubaldo Jimenez: The first pitch from the Cleveland Indians pitcher drilled his former Rockies teammate Troy Tulowitzki right smack on the elbow Sunday, triggering a bench-clearing standoff in the spring-training game in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Wrestlemania 28: The much-hyped and record-breaking event—besides the Rock's win—saw Sheamus (Champion) defeating Daniel Bryan (Challenger) for the World Heavyweight title; Kane beating Randy Orton; Big Show (Challenger) vanquishing Cody Rhodes (Champion) for the Intercontinental Title; Kelly Kelly and Maria Menounos besting Beth Phoenix and Eve; The Undertaker crushing Triple H in a "Hell in a Cell" match with Shawn Michaels as the special referee; Team Johnny winning over Team Teddy; and C.M. Punk (Champion) triumphing over Chris Jericho (Challenger) to retain the WWE Championship.. Related searches: WWE Wrestlemania 28, Wwe Wrestlemania, Wrestlemania 28
HIGHLIGHTS FROM AROUND THE WEB
Yahoo! News Most Popular
Trayvon Martin case exposes worst in media
Blind dog rescued from trash pile gets its eyesight back and a new home
Ticks season is coming: They'll bug you this spring
Top Obama campaign donor accused of fraud
Toure apologizes for Piers Morgan meltdown
After grad job slump, big hiring is back at U.S. colleges
Drones coming to a sky near you as interest surges
The best readers' comments on Mega Millions
Florida teenager's home town turns out in Miami protest
Sarah Palin vs. Katie Couric: 'Today' counters 'GMA' with guest co-host, surprise 'legend'
Woman convicted of killing patients with bleach awaits fate
Crowley: It's never too early for political world to play veepstakes
Who screams on 911 call in Trayvon Martin case?
Court sentences 5 bin Laden relatives for living illegally in Pakistan
Taylor Swift wins big at Academy of Country Music Awards
Sarah Palin to co-host 'Today' show as Katie Couric sits in on 'GMA'
After $650 million in Friday sales, 3 win frenzied Mega Millions lottery
What witnesses say in Trayvon Martin case
After the mandate, government-run health care would grow
31 dead in Siberia plane crash, government says
- WWE Wrestlemania