Welcome to "First Shots," a daily roundup of early-bird news and a preview of what's to come later.
• Dr. Laura Schlessinger went on CNN's "Larry King Live" last night to announce that she will not renew her radio-show contract because she wants to "regain" her First Amendment rights. Schlessinger apologized Aug. 11 for using a racial epithet 11 times in five minutes on her show. (CNN)
• Rep. Peter King says New York Gov. David Paterson will meet with developers of the community center and mosque in an effort to find them a new location that is not near Ground Zero. (New York Post)
• Ailing 9/11 workers say furor over the proposed Islamic center near Ground Zero detracts from bigger issues. (New York Daily News)
• A retrial for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is already in the works — much to the White House's chagrin. (The Washington Post)
• Look! Obama's passport (Politico)Read More »from FIRST SHOTS: Dr. Laura ends radio show, Paterson to meet mosque developers