Body bags taken from Pa. building collapse site

Associated Press
Rescue personnel work the scene of a building collapse in downtown Philadelphia, Wednesday, June 5, 2013.  A four-story building being demolished collapsed Wednesday on the edge of downtown, injuring 12 people and trapping two others, the fire commissioner said. Rescue crews were trying to extricate the two people who were trapped, and the dozen people who were injured were taken to hospitals with minor injuries, according to city Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. (AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)
.

View gallery

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Two body bags have been removed from the rubble of a building that collapsed in Philadelphia.

Mayor Michael Nutter has reported only one death in the Wednesday morning accident. But rescue crews continued to dig through the rubble.

Video footage taken at the scene Wednesday night showed authorities removing two body bags and loading them into ambulances.

Fire officials say 13 people were injured in the accident.

The four-story building collapsed Wednesday morning.

Witnesses said they had been casting a wary eye on the demolition site and questioned how the workers were tackling the job. They say they heard a loud rumbling sound immediately before the collapse.

The building once housed a first-floor sandwich shop and apartments above. Its collapse sent debris onto a Salvation Army corner thrift store next door. The two properties are adjacent to an adult bookstore and theater that had been taken down earlier.

View Comments (-12)