Erik Morales shouldn't be allowed to fight until clarification on drug test

Yahoo Sports US

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has been at the forefront of testing to prevent usage of performance-enhancing drugs in boxing.

He has a chance to make a significant statement by not allowing Erik Morales to fight Danny Garcia Saturday for the WBA/WBC super lightweight titles, despite the high stakes, in what is supposed to be the main event of a quadruple header on Showtime at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

View gallery

.

Erik Morales, center, weighed in as expected on Friday for his fight with Danny Garcia. (Getty Images)

By agreement between the fighters and with the blessing of Golden Boy, Morales and Garcia have been tested throughout training camp by the United States Anti-Doping Agency. On Wednesday, USADA made Golden Boy aware that the Morales "A" sample was positive for clenbuterol.

Clenbuterol is an anabolic agent which assists in weight loss and can help increase lean muscle mass. It can also cause the heart to race.

Morales claims to have gotten the clenbuterol from eating contaminated meat. Several athletes have eaten contaminated meat and later tested positive for clenbuterol. Five members of the Mexican soccer team did, but appealed their suspension to the World Anti-Doping Agency and were cleared last year.

However, WADA turned down a similar appeal from 2010 Tour de France winner Alberto Contador and he was stripped of the title.

[Related: Erik Morales fighting tough battle against Father Time]

No promoter has been hit harder by positive tests this year than Golden Boy; a number of its fighters have agreed to comprehensive random testing. Lamont Peterson was discovered to have used synthetic testosterone during random tests conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA). As a result, his May bout with Amir Khan, as well as the entire card, was canceled.

Andre Berto tested positive for norandrosterone and he was yanked from a June card against Victor Ortiz. Berto claimed innocence, and in August the California State Athletic Commission licensed him, finding his positive test was likely the result of a contaminated substance.

Berto will fight Robert Guerrero next month, and both fighters have agreed to random blood and urine testing done by USADA, Schaefer said.

Schaefer should be commended for encouraging his fighters to be tested despite knowing the risk could be a high-priced show cancellation.

He said Friday that "it's out of my hands" and was allowing the matter to be handled by the New York State Athletic Commission, in consultation with USADA officials.

Neither Melvina Lathan, the New York commission's chairwoman, or USADA head Travis Tygart returned messages.

Morales and Garcia weighed in as scheduled on Friday, and indications are that the fight will go on. Morales told the New York Daily News he was told by a USADA official that the fight was a go.

"You are not guilty and the [New York State Athletic Commission] has already accepted the fight, so the fight is on,'" Morales said the USADA official told him. "I've been facing great fighters like [Manny] Pacquiao and [Marco Antonio] Barrera, and I never failed a drug test. I'm clean. I asked the [USADA] guy, 'Do you think this is related to food or something?' Until now, we don't know, but everything shows it should be food."

View gallery

.

Morales claims he tested positive for clenbuterol after eating contaminated meat. (AP)

Schaefer should make it easy on everyone and simply yank Morales from the card. The risks are too great and the stakes are too high.

Clenbuterol is a bronchodilator, like ephedra, that stimulates the nervous system. Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Belcher died in spring training in 2003 after taking ephedra.

An investigation of deaths of race horses at New York tracks this year ordered by Gov. Andrew Cuomo showed clenbuterol to be a factor in the deaths.

Schaefer said he accepted positive tests as part of trying to rid boxing of performance-enhancing drugs.

"Look, these positive tests [to Peterson and Berto] cost us thousands and thousands of dollars," Schaefer said. "But there is no price tag you can put on safety. There is no price tag that can be put on transparency. I encourage other promoters to do the same [and have fighters tested].

"But we have to leave this to the experts. I don't have the expertise to decide this. The media does not. It is a very significant issue and it's one that the experts must decide."

Boxing is in desperate need of a comprehensive PED policy. But the rules, as they exist, encourage the promoters to do the wrong thing. Golden Boy has done the right thing by encouraging testing and has been burned to the tune of thousands of dollars lost. Promoters who are less financially solvent than Golden Boy are not going to seek testing given the risks, particularly since it's not an insurable loss.

Even penalty clauses that would fine fighters who test positive won't do much to help the innocent.

"Most of the fighters live hand to mouth and they don't have anything to pay a fine with," said one prominent fight manager who asked not to be identified. "They're not getting paid if they test positive [and don't fight], and now you're saying you want to fine them on top of that? Where are they going to get the money? I can guarantee you, most of them don't have it to pay it."

[Kevin Iole: Dana White failed in not making Jones-Silva happen]

Schaefer, though, can yank Garcia and Morales from the card and thus prevent a tragedy from occurring. As bad as it is whenever a prominent fighter tests positive – Morales is considered a likely Hall of Famer – it would be far worse if a serious injury or death occurred as a result of PED usage.

The stakes are enormous, and Schaefer is obviously reluctant to pull the fight, particularly since Garcia did nothing wrong.

But he should remember the case of American swimmer Jessica Hardy. She tested positive for clenbuterol at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials and eventually withdrew from the U.S. Olympic team. However, she maintained her innocence and in 2009, an arbitration panel ruled her ingestion of clenbuterol was inadvertent.

Still, she served a one-year penalty, missed the 2008 Games and then had to train for two years not knowing whether she'd be allowed to compete in the London Games in 2012. As it turns out, she was allowed and won two medals, a gold and a bronze.

She paid a far heavier price for a mistake that was not her fault than Morales would. If Morales' ingestion of clenbuterol turns out to be inadvertent, the bout can be rescheduled and he'll still earn his pay.

But to allow him to fight after failing a test can't be tolerated. He needs to be pulled from the card.

To do otherwise would be to ignore the risks and to put money and television ratings over the health and safety of the athletes.

Related boxing video from Yahoo! Sports:

  Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
Rex Ryan would consider playing Tim Tebow at RB
Mike Riley's wild coaching ride has Oregon State cruising up the BCS standings
Chelsea decide their own wicked punishment for John Terry
Y! News: Dirty diaper gets pregnant mom booted from the bus

Recommended for You

  • Sheriff's Deputy Tried to Kill Elderly Woman He Nearly Swindled Out of $65,000: Cops

    Deputy Frankie Bybee, 49, allegedly tried stealing thousands of dollars from a 79-year-old Sarasota, Florida woman.

    Inside Edition
  • Trump slapped with federal lawsuit in New York

    A group of American lawyers on Monday filed a federal lawsuit in New York against Donald Trump, accusing the US president of violating a constitutional ban on accepting payments from foreign governments. The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) is pursuing Trump over his vast business holdings, from which the billionaire has refused to divest fully, saying that as president he can have no conflict of interest. CREW says Trump's business properties abroad operate based partly on goodwill from foreign governments and regulators, but that under the US Constitution no federal official can receive a gift or "emolument" from a foreign government.

    AFP
  • Wawrinka wins grudge match at Australian Open as Venus shines

    Stan Wawrinka won a bad-tempered clash with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to reach the Australian Open semi-finals as Venus Williams' late-career surge sent her soaring into the last four on Tuesday. Wawrinka and France's Tsonga, who have been at odds in the past, argued heatedly at the first-set changeover and there was no love lost as the Swiss charged to a 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-3 win. It puts 2014 champion Wawrinka, 31, into his third Melbourne semi-final where he will play the ever-popular Roger Federer, his Swiss compatriot, or Mischa Zverev.

    AFP
  • 'SNL' Writer Suspended for Controversial Tweet About Barron Trump

    "The View" co-hosts discuss the boundaries involving children of presidents.

    ABC News Videos
  • Supreme Court sets stage for Trump switch on voter IDs

    The Supreme Court on Monday morning cleared the way for the new Trump Administration to switch the government’s position – if it wishes to do so – to allow states to enforce strict photo ID requirements for America’s voters.

    National Constitution Center
  • What's in the Box? Social Media Goes Wild Over Tiffany's Gift Melania Trump Gave Michelle Obama

    It led to an awkward exchange after Michelle Obama was unsure what to do with the gift.

    Inside Edition
  • Firebrand Iraq cleric warns US on Israel embassy move

    Moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would be a declaration of war on Islam, influential Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said Tuesday. "Transferring the US embassy to Jerusalem would be a public and more-explicit-than-ever declaration of war against Islam," he said in a statement. In a break with previous administrations, new US President Donald Trump has pledged to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and relocate the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.

    AFP
  • Man convicted of 3 murders as teen kills himself in prison

    CAMP HILL, Pa. (AP) — A man who broke into a classmate's home in 2007 and stabbed the teenager and his parents to death has killed himself in prison, authorities said Monday.

    Associated Press
  • Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic

    KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.

    Associated Press
  • The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

    The new pistol replaces the 80s vintage M9 handgun.

    Popular Mechanics
  • Chelsea Clinton shuts down trolls who targeted Barron Trump

    Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton has spoken out in defence of Barron Trump, the US president's youngest son, after trolls targeted him with cruel memes online during the inauguration.  In a Facebook post Chelsea, who spent much of her teenage years in the spotlight while her dad Bill Clinton was president, said the 10-year-old "deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid".  But she also turned political: "Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids". Criticism of Barron's facial expressions and posture during the inauguration was widespread on social media, with people mocking him and calling him out for looking bored.  A Saturday Night Live writer even tweeted: "Barron will be this country's first homeschool shooter". The tweet was later deleted.  People on Facebook praised Chelsea for defending Barron while also expressing her political ideas:  BONUS: Donald Trump's inauguration address included a Bane quote ›

    Mashable
  • Minnesota Gov. Dayton, 69, collapses during speech

    ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton collapsed while delivering his State of the State speech on Monday, striking his head on a lectern. The 69-year-old Democrat appeared to be conscious as he was helped into a back room several minutes later, and a top staffer said he walked out of the Capitol under his own power.

    Associated Press
  • Gun rights activists sue Massachusetts over assault weapons ban

    Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights. The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. "Massachusetts prohibits firearms it pejoratively defines as 'assault weapons,' which is a non-technical, entirely fabricated, and political term of uncertain definition and scope," the 33-page lawsuit contends.

    Reuters
  • Gambia's Jammeh 'allowed to keep' luxury car collection

    Gambian ex-president Yahya Jammeh will be allowed to keep his collection of 13 luxury cars and fly them out to his exiled home in Equatorial Guinea, a spokesman for new president Adama Barrow said Tuesday. Barrow's spokesman confirmed to AFP an agreement had been struck to facilitate Jammeh's exit on Saturday in order to end a weeks-long impasse caused by the ex-leader's refusal to recognise Barrow's election victory. "What is very clear is that arrangements were made and the government was fully prepared and supportive of ex-president Jammeh to leave and as a result they found it is better to leave with all his properties instead of coming down and checking properties," spokesman Halifa Sallah told AFP.

    AFP
  • 12 bodies found in Mexican tourist town: officials

    A dozen bodies -- including seven that were headless and mutilated -- were discovered over the weekend in western Mexico's seaside resort of Manzanillo, apparent victims of the country's epidemic of drug violence, local officials said. It was a shocking turn of events for an area popular with American and other foreign tourists, which until now had largely been spared from the bloody drug wars wracking other parts of Mexico. Seven bodies were found early Saturday in an abandoned taxi on the road from Manzanillo to the town of Cihuatlan.

    AFP
  • Severe storms hit the South (32 photos)

    A powerful storm system plowed up the U.S. Eastern seaboard with torrential showers and high winds on Monday, hindering airline and rail travel, after killing at least 21 people in the South, many in mobile homes demolished by tornadoes. The storm, which unleashed deadly twisters in Mississippi and Georgia over the weekend, turned cooler as it advanced on the Northeast, where residents faced potential flooding, downed power lines and high surf late on Monday and early Tuesday, said Tim Morrin, the National Weather Service’s New York observation program leader.. Thunderstorms and tornadoes spawned by the same weather system killed 16 people on Sunday in Georgia, according to a tally by the Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma. Four of those fatalities were confirmed, and a toddler was reported missing, in Dougherty County after a twister left a path of destruction up to a half mile wide. A trailer park was especially hard hit, and local authorities said they expected the death toll to rise. “It literally looks like God took half of the mobile home park and threw it across the street into the woods,” Dougherty County Commission Chair Chris Cohilas said at a news conference. Cohilas expressed frustration at the pace of the federal government in furnishing emergency help, calling it “disgraceful.” “I would ask President Trump to take some significant steps to cut through the red tape and get us some people on the damned ground,” he said at a news conference on Monday. Governor Nathan Deal, announcing that he extended a state emergency declaration to 16 Georgia counties, said Trump had called him on Sunday and promised he would be “ready and willing to respond” to an expected request for federal disaster relief. A tornado killed four people, three of them in mobile homes, in the southern Mississippi town of Hattiesburg on Saturday, and one person was reported killed in northern Florida when a tree toppled onto a house during a severe thunderstorm, authorities said. (Reuters) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Tumblr .  

    Yahoo News Photo Staff
  • White House denies Trump filled front rows with supporters during CIA HQ visit

    White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday rejected reports that President Trump’s visit to CIA headquarters during the weekend hurt his already troubled relationship with the U.S. intelligence community. On Saturday, Trump gave a freewheeling speech at the CIA while standing before a wall memorializing fallen officers. Among other comments, he ripped the media for downplaying the size of the crowd at his inauguration and boasted that most of the people in the room had voted for him.

    Yahoo News
  • 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

    Still America's beast.

    Car and Driver
  • Samsung: ‘A better, safer, and very innovative’ Galaxy Note 8 is coming

    Samsung completed its Galaxy Note 7 investigation and shared the results with the world on Monday. The company also unveiled a new 8-point quality assurance plan meant to prevent battery accidents from occurring on future Galaxy phones — and one of the phones that will benefit from the new safety policies is going to be the Galaxy Note 8. Yes, Samsung confirmed that it’s making “a better, safer and very innovative Note 8” just a few days ahead of its press conference on Monday. Samsung mobile boss DJ Koh spoke to CNET on Thursday about the Galaxy Note 7 fires. But Koh also let it slip that the Galaxy Note 7 won’t be the last phablet in the Note series. "I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8," Koh actually said, which a clear confirmation that a Galaxy Note 8 is indeed in the works. Samsung may have elaborated on the “safer” part during its press event on Monday, but it’s unclear at this time what “better” and “very innovative” mean. The Galaxy Note was the first big-screen smartphone that people flocked to, making Samsung the godfather of the phablet. The phone has plenty of fans, and Samsung says that Note fans are very devoted. In fact, 4% of the potentially faulty Galaxy Note 7 units that were sold are still in use out there — though most of them can’t even be used as phones anymore thanks to software limitations that have been put in place. "We found through the investigative process, we knew there are lots and lots of loyal Note customers," Koh said. Note fans are Samsung's most loyal base of clients across all of its products, the company said. According to Samsung’s Tim Baxter, president of the company's US division, more than 10,000 Note customers signed up to stay connected to Samsung for more updates. On top of that, there’s a large base of Galaxy Note 4 and Note 5 users who want an upgrade. "They made it clear, they want a Note," Baxter said. The Galaxy Note 8 likely won't launch until sometime this fall, but in the meantime, at least we all know for certain that the phone is coming.

    BGR News
  • Trump admin backs off pledge of immediate immigration change

    WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump will focus immigration enforcement efforts first on criminal immigrants in the country illegally, his administration said on Monday, offering hope to more than three-quarters of a million young immigrants protected from deportation under the Obama administration.

    Associated Press