Developer Inti Creates is offering a big incentive for buyers of its side-scrolling action game Azure Striker Gunvolt: Players who purchase the Nintendo 3DS game will also get a second game, Mighty Gunvolt, for free.
Mighty Gunvolt is a 2D action game that features the star of Azure Striker Gunvolt and Beck from Comcept's Mighty No. 9 as playable characters in a retro 8-bit style. (Inti Creates is also handling development of Mighty No. 9.) Mighty Gunvolt is a graphically simpler take on the main game — a la Castlevania spin-off Kid Dracula and Mighty Final Fight for NES — that takes place across five stages. Mighty Gunvolt features another playable character, the angel Ekoro from developer Inti Creates' suggestive, Japan-only rail shooter, Gal Gun.
Takuya Aizu, president and CEO of Inti Creates, said in a statement that Mighty Gunvolt "is our little way of thanking our fans for buying Gunvolt, and supporting this kind of classic Japanese-style 2D action gaming that we don't want to see disappear. We hope it'll give a big smile — and maybe a laugh or two — to anyone who remembers the 8-bit days fondly, or even those just curious on what they missed out on back in the 'good old days.'"
Azure Striker Gunvolt is a new 2D side-scrolling action game that may appeal to fans of other Inti Creates titles, like Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10 and the Mega Man Zero series. Gunvolt will be released through the 3DS eShop on Aug. 29 for $14.99. Players who buy the game by Nov. 28 will get a copy of Mighty Gunvolt, free of charge.
Executive producer Keiji Inafune unveiled Azure Striker Gunvolt at this year's BitSummit festival in Japan. You can see both Gunvolt titles in action in the trailer below.
More from polygon.com:
- Here's why I won't be playing Journey on PlayStation 4
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain coming to Steam (update)
- Mass surveillance, Watch Dogs and the militarized police: When strapping cameras on people is a good idea
- A new Silent Hill is coming from Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro
- The new Silent Hill is designed to 'make you shit your pants,' Kojima says
- P.T. is a new interactive horror game for PlayStation 4 and you can try it now (update)
- Arts & Entertainment