Con Ed pays 87 victims following NYC blast

Associated Press
FILE - In this Sunday, March 16, 2014, file photo, workers stand beside the recently cleared basements of two buildings leveled by an explosion last week in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York. A gas main leak has been found at the site of the explosion that killed eight people and leveled two Manhattan buildings, federal investigators said Tuesday, March 18, 2014, but cautioned that they're still a long way from determining what caused the blast. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)
.

View photo

FILE - In this Sunday, March 16, 2014, file photo, workers stand beside the recently cleared basements of two buildings leveled by an explosion last week in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York. A gas main leak has been found at the site of the explosion that killed eight people and leveled two Manhattan buildings, federal investigators said Tuesday, March 18, 2014, but cautioned that they're still a long way from determining what caused the blast. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)

NEW YORK (AP) — Con Edison has made compensation payments to 87 survivors and residents displaced by the fatal building explosion last week in New York City.

The utility says it began making the payments last Thursday, a day after the blast.

This week, federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two East Harlem apartment buildings that were leveled. Eight people were killed and more than 60 were injured.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says most of the people in the effected buildings have already contacted the utility.

He declined to provide the average amount paid for each person who was injured or lost his or her home.

The payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.

The cause of the explosion hasn't been determined.

View Comments (0)