Death toll from Philippine quake rises to 144

Associated Press
A private guard stands near the damaged Basilica of the Holy Child following a 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit Cebu city in central Philippines and toppled the bell tower of the Philippines' oldest church Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2013. The tremor collapsed buildings, cracked roads and toppled the bell tower of the church Tuesday morning, causing multiple deaths across the central region and sending terrified residents into deadly stampedes. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)
.

View gallery

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A government official says the death toll from the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit the Philippines has risen to 144.

Civil Defense Director Eduardo del Rosario said Wednesday that another 291 people are injured.

The central island of Bohol, a popular tourist area, was hit hardest by Tuesday morning's quake, with widespread damage to houses and historic churches.

A day after the quake, Bohol Gov. Edgardo Chatto said that all towns in need had been reached, although landslides and damaged bridges were slowing down road travel.

View Comments (0)