Maya Calendar Ends
Have you heard? The "Maya Calendar Ends" on Dec. 21. Due to the aura of mystery and mystique that surrounds ancient Mayan civilizations, many believe the world will end on this day.
As Jeanine Kitchel, author of "Maya 2012 Revealed" explains, " … December 21, 2012, is the end of their [Maya] Long Count calendar, not the end of time." Kitchel goes on to explain that the ancient Maya were not a prophetic people. "With 90 percent of all Maya hieroglyphics deciphered, not one mentions a prophecy."
In reality, a mere 10 percent really believe the world is going to end, so that leaves 90 percent of us to celebrate with a little fun. What will you do? I suggest gathering the family to watch a great apocalyptic movie. One of my favorites is still "The Road" starring Robert Duvall. You can check out the trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
At 6:11 a.m. EST on Dec. 21, winter will officially begin in the Northern Hemisphere. The scientific definition of a solstice is one of two times a year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator.
Cultures around the world celebrate the Winter Solstice as the rebirth of light, since the hours of daylight will thereafter begin to get longer. Harry Yeide, professor of religion at George Washington University, explains that "In several languages, not just in English, people have traditionally compared the rebirth of the sun with the birth of the son of God." Yeide says that historically, this led to an intermingling of the Winter Solstice and Christmas celebrations.
How will you celebrate? I suggest a nice, warm cup of hot cocoa. Here are some great recipes from Yahoo! Shine.
Regardless of how much we love the holiday season, most of us occasionally experience a little frustration and chaos. Today's a day to honor those feelings and let us know that we're not alone. It's "Humbug Day." So rant and rave, whine and complain … get it all out so we can move on to happier and more festive times.
You can get the entire family in the bah-humbug act by watching the 1988 film "Scrooged" starring Bill Murray. Check it out on Yahoo! Movies.
National Haiku Poetry Day
It's "National Haiku Poetry Day" and I bet you can't wait to celebrate! The haiku originated in Japan, and consists of 17 total syllables. These poems don't rhyme and they have only three lines. The first and third lines contain five syllables each, while the middle line contains seven syllables.
So pick up your pen and start writing -- you may find it more difficult than you think.
To write a haiku
Can be difficult at best
But at least you tried.
- Sports & Recreation
- Holidays & Celebrations
- Maya Calendar
- Winter Solstice
- Maya hieroglyphics