Defense: 'Ecstatic' that Zimmerman acquitted

Associated Press
George Zimmerman, right, is congratulated by his defense team after being found not guilty during Zimmerman's trial in Seminole Circuit Court in Sanford, Fla. on Saturday, July 13, 2013. Jurors found Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla. The six-member, all-woman jury deliberated for more than 15 hours over two days before reaching their decision Saturday night. (AP Photo/Gary W. Green, Pool)
.

View gallery

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — George Zimmerman's lead defense attorney says he is "ecstatic" that the former neighborhood watch volunteer has been cleared of all charges in the fatal shooting of Travyon Martin.

Mark O'Mara said Saturday night after the verdict was announced that the only thing Zimmerman was guilty of was protecting himself. Another defense attorney, Don West, says he is pleased the jury "kept this tragedy from becoming a travesty."

Prosecutors say they are disappointed that the jury of six women did not find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder, which they felt was an appropriate charge because Zimmerman's mindset the night he shot Martin "fit the bill."

The jury had also been given the chance to convict Zimmerman of manslaughter but did not do so, despite asking for a clarification of the charge earlier in the evening.

View Comments (52)