Egypt Leadership Criticized on Two-Year Anniversary of Mubarak's Downfall

Yahoo Contributor Network

Freedom House issued a statement on Monday condemning Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's policies as a continuation of former President Hosni Mubarak's. The statement came on the two-year anniversary of Mubarak's downfall.

In addition, the Associated Press reported protests breaking out in Tahrir Square, where security forces attempted to disperse them.

Following is the latest information on the social unrest in Egypt.

Democracy activism organization says Egyptian police "brutal", act with "impunity"

The report from Nancy Okail, Director of Freedom House Egypt, said that there were 1,000 people detained over two weeks of anti-government protests, and that there had been six reports of torture in police stations in recent months.

She noted that the Interior Ministry and police hadn't been reformed and were unaccountable under Morsi's Egypt, and that "there is still no systematic transitional justice program in place to punish excesses before and during the revolution."

NGOs restricted in Egypt

The group was also critical of Egypt's treatment of non-governmental organizations, such as Freedom House, which have been raided by the government and that the government is using suppression tactics to stop criticism against Morsi, noting that attacks aren't restricted to NGOs. "It is a feature of the government's approach to all of the challenges Egypt faces," Okail said in the statement.

Protesters call for Morsi to leave

Some protesters threw plastic bags of red liquid at the prosecutor's office to register outrage over blood spilled by security forces against civilians. Protesters say the Muslim Brotherhood, with whom Morsi is affiliated, are using their power to overreach in government and are using security forces in a heavy-handed way. They're calling for Morsi to step down, as Mubarak did two years ago.

State Department concerned by YouTube censorship

During a Monday press briefing, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said that there were concerns regarding reports that the Egyptian court had decided to block YouTube due to an anti-Islam film hosted by the site. "That kind of action violates the universal rights of citizens to exercise their freedom of expression, association, and assembly," Nuland said. "We would rather see these kinds of concerns settled through dialogue."

Cleric held over death threats

Mahmoud Shaaban, a hardline Salafi cleric, was taken in for questioning by the government on Monday, according to Reuters . Shaaban made comments on the religious channel al-Hafez suggesting that Mohamed ElBaradei and presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahy should be killed. Both are leaders of the secular National Salvation Front.

Reuters noted that Shaaban said that "it is clear now their sentence in God's law is death," in the video.

Shawn Humphrey is a former contributor to The Flint Journal and an amateur Africanist, focusing his personal studies on human rights and political issues on the continent.

View Comments (28)