Egypt: Security forces storm southern town

Associated Press
FILE -- In this Sept. 3, 2013 file photo, Egyptian Christian villagers clean up the damaged ancient chapel inside the Virgin Mary and St. Abraam Monastery that was looted and burned by Islamists, in Dalga, Minya province, Egypt. Egyptian security forces backed by armored vehicles and helicopters on Monday stormed a town south of Cairo that had been held for over two months by militants loyal to the ousted Islamist president, swiftly taking control despite some resistance from gunmen. (AP Photo/El Shorouk Newspaper, Roger Anis, File) EGYPT OUT

View gallery

CAIRO (AP) — Security forces backed by armored vehicles and helicopters on Monday stormed a town south of Cairo that had been held for over two months by militants loyal to the ousted Islamist president, swiftly taking control despite some resistance from gunmen.

The pre-dawn operation to retake Dalga in Minya province underlined the resolve of the military-backed government to go after Islamic militants behind a wave of violence in several parts of the country following the ouster of Mohammed Morsi in a popularly backed July 3 military coup. Minya in particular suffered a collapse of security, with militants torching and looting courthouses, churches, local government houses and police stations.

Army troops are also going after militants in the strategic Sinai Peninsula where attacks on security forces have grown more frequent, and deadlier, since Morsi's ouster.

Dalga, some 300 kilometers (190 miles) south of Cairo, attracted nationwide attention because militants there threw the local police force out and took over the town after Morsi's ouster. Many of Dalga's minority Christians, about 20,000 of the town's 120,000 residents, have been paying militants for their protection. One of two churches torched by the militants in August is thought to be 1,600 years old. Remains of revered clerics buried in the church were disturbed and scattered around and ancient icons were taken away.

Local activists Adel Shafiq in Dalga and Ezzat Ibrahim in nearby Malawi said a joint force of army and police rolled into Dalga before dawn on Monday. They said there were about 10 minutes of intense gunfire, followed by sporadic bursts of heavy fire as government forces began house-to-house searches to arrest militants.

A total of 88 suspected militants were arrested out of a list of 312 wanted men, according to security officials in Minya. Two army helicopters were flying low over the town as forces sealed off all entrances and ordered residents to stay indoors, according to the activists and security officials.

The officials said around 11 people were injured by birdshot or treated for tear gas inhalation during the clashes.

However, many of the senior Islamists appear to have fled the town just before the start of the operation, the security officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Father Ioannis of the town's Coptic Orthodox church said many residents knew the operation was imminent from the night before.

"I live above a bakery and people waiting in line late last night were saying the army was coming in at dawn," he said. He suggested that residents farming land on the west side of the town may have seen troops and armor massing in the area, and the news spread.

"I am so happy and relieved they are here, anway" he said.

Minya's security chief, Osamah Mutwali, said army troops and police were in complete control of the town and would remain there until law and order were fully restored.

Soon after the forces entered the town, hundreds of Morsi supporters tried to stage a protest march but they were quickly dispersed by the forces' use of tear gas, according to the activists and Islamist activist Mohammed El-Dalgawi.

Militants had seized Dalga, located on the edge of the Nile Valley bordering the western desert, by driving out police, part of the general collapse of security in Minya after Morsi's removal. Angry mobs torched and looted dozens of churches across the south.

In Dalga, when The Associated Press visited earlier this month, a church dating back to the 4th century was a blackened shell, with the remains of revered clerics strewn around the interior and "Egypt is Islamic" painted on its inside walls.

Armed militants were visible on many of its streets, and Morsi supporters held daily demonstrations outside the police station calling for the ousted president's reinstatement. Christians in Dalga say militants demanded money in exchange for their protection, a practice harkening back to a long abandoned tax called "jizyah" collected from non-Muslims.

The security officials said the 88 arrested Monday included members of the Gamaa Islamiya, a militant group that is a close ally of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood. The Gamaa led the insurgency against the government in the 1990s and is blamed for a series of high-profile assassinations at the time along with the killing of wealthy Christians and western tourists.

Minya is a stronghold of the Gamaa and was a heartland of the 1990s insurgency. It is also home to the largest Christian community in any of Egypt's provinces, making up about 35 percent of its estimated 4.5 million residents. Christians account for about 10 percent of the population nationwide.

View Comments (102)