Aside from denying plans to build a smartphone again, Facebook (FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg also revealed some insight to the social network’s search engine ambitions. Speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt, Zuckerberg said that ”Search engines are really evolving to give you a set of answers, ‘I have a specific question, answer this question for me,’ ” and that Facebook is currently handling more than 1 billion queries per day without even trying to compete in search. Put into context, Zuckerberg might be looking to create a service that rivals existing question-and-answer websites such as the popular Quora, and it will certainly compete with Google (GOOG) as well. “Facebook is pretty uniquely positioned to answer the questions people have. At some point we’ll do it. We have a team working on it,” said Zuckerberg.
Explore Related Content
- Facebook has hashtags now
- Samsung reportedly rejects Zuckerberg’s ‘Facebook Phone’ ove …
- Facebook looks to Samsung for help in wake of HTC First disa …
- Facebook CEO meets SKorean president
- Facebook tackles stock price complaints in first shareholder …
- #FF: Megan Amram
- Turkey Is Now Arresting Dozens for Using Twitter
- Zuckerberg Dons Suit, Meets S. Korean …hulu videos
More Tech News
- Usher Talks Michelle Chamuel's Future Following The Voice
Michelle Chamuel came in second on Tuesday's "The Voice" finale, but Usher says things are just beginning for his protege.
- Wash. parents' ruse snares man wooing daughter
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A father who discovered his 15-year-old daughter was being wooed on Facebook by a man twice her age took matters into his own hands.
- Stacy Keibler: How I Lost Weight Without Working Out
Stacy Keibler was able to lose weight without even working out - but it was far from easy!
- Baby-size burritos lead to unusual photos
America’s problem with portion size has sparked a strange new photo trend, one in which parents set their newborn babies alongside massive burritos on restaurant tabletops. According to the U.K.’s Daily Mail, a Mexican restaurant in Seattle, Wash., is saying that any diners who take photos of their babies next to one of the restaurant's [...]
- Man charged with tossing wife off cruise ship
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A California grand jury has indicted a Florida man on charges he strangled his ex-wife and tossed her off a cruise ship in Italy.
- Ousted founder of Men's Wearhouse fights back
NEW YORK (AP) — George Zimmer, the ousted founder and executive chairman of Men's Wearhouse, says Wednesday he was dismissed after he and the company's board disagreed about how it should look.
- Kim and Kanye's Baby Name Is Not That Strange
It's being reported that rapper Kanye West and his reality star girlfriend Kim Kardashian have named their brand-new baby, born this weekend, Kaidence Donda West. Donda was Kanye's late mother's name, so that makes sense, but, um, Kaidence? What's going on with Kaidence?
- Illinois father gets prison in child-binding case
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — A suburban Chicago man has been sentenced to 30 months in prison for binding and blindfolding two of his children in a Wal-Mart parking lot in eastern Kansas.