Since the U.S. started using the military in Libya, much focus has been on the Commander of the U.S. African Command Carter Ham. Here is a little bit about this four star general.
* Is a part of a rare breed of generals who started out as an enlisted soldier.
* Was previously the Commanding General of U.S. Army Europe and the 7th Army.
* Was in charge of the Pentagon's study of how the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would affect the troops.
* Was also in charge of the investigation on the Fort Hood Shootings.
* Currently in charge of the U.S. African Command and the U.S. military actions in Libya.
* Attended John Carroll University where he graduated with a political science degree and a distinguished military graduate from the ROTC Program.
* Armor Officers Advanced Course.
* Attended the Naval College of Command and Staff where he graduated with distinction.
* Also graduated from the Air Officer's War College.
* Recruiting Area Commander.
* Battalion Executive Officer for The National Training Center.
* Adviser to the Saudi Arabian National Guard.
* U.S. Army in Europe Commander.
* Enlisted soldier in the 82nd Airborne Infantry.
* U.S. Army Assistant Inspector General.
* Commander, 1st Battalion, 6th Infantry.
* Chief of Staff for the 1st Infantry.
* Commander of the 29th Infantry Regiment.
* Commander of the Multinational Brigade for Northern Iraq.
* Deputy Director for regional operations in the Pentagon.
* Commander, 1st Infantry Division.
* Director of Operations, Joint Staff.
Some of Gen. Ham's Awards and Decorations
* Army Distinguished Service Medal.
* Defense Superior Service Medal along with three oak leaf clusters.
* Bronze Star Medal.
* Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters.
* The Joint Service Commendation Medal.
* Born on Feb, 16, 1952.
* His father was a Naval Officer who had to leave the military early because of an injury and began teaching at the Naval Academy in Rhode Island where he met Ham's mother.
* Carter Ham is one of five children.
* Married to Christi Ham, a former teacher, principal and advocate for military families.
* Carter and Christi met while at John Carroll University where she was a year ahead of him.
* Has a daughter Jennifer who is married to Army Capt. Kyle Burns.
* Has a son, Jonathan, who graduated from the University of Georgia and is married.
* Can speak fluent German.
* Spoke openly about his Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after returning from a deployment to Iraq in 2005.
Lauren Finnegan graduated from Hawaii Pacific University with a bachelor's degree in political science and has an insider's perspective on the military because of her role as a military wife who has lived around the country.
- oak leaf clusters
- U.S. Army Europe
- U.S. Army Assistant Inspector General
- U.S. African Command Carter Ham
- Air Officer
- Distinguished Service Medal
- four star general
- 1st Infantry Division
- John Carroll University
- political science degree
- the University of Georgia