The day is here! iOS 7, the totally-redesigned mobile operating system from Apple and head design honcho Jony Ive, is now officially available for download. You can now install iOS 7 on your iDevice, if you own an iPhone 4 or newer, an iPad 2 or newer, an iPad mini or an iPod Touch 5th generation or newer.
So: How do you go about downloading iOS 7 to your Apple phone, tablet or MP3 player? We have step-by-step instructions below. Ready? Set? Here's how to install iOS 7.
1. First, you need to ensure that Apple has designated your device as eligible for iOS 7. We listed those gadgets above, but in case you're a visual learner, here they are again:
The Apple devices that will be eligible to download iOS 7, via TechCrunch.
2. If your device is on the list, you're good to go. Before you start the installation, however, you should definitely back up your data. With any new operating system, you are potentially looking at bugs and technical glitches, no matter how much quality control Apple has gone through; and also, no matter how technically savvy you are, you still might screw up the install.
Gizmodo has a handy guide here on backing up your iPhone or iPad or iPad. Do it.
3. Once your data is safely backed up, you are ready to start the download. If your phone is ready for the update, your Settings icon will have a little red number over it, like this:
4. Then find the "General" pane. If the iOS 7 update is in there, you will again have a notification, like so:
4. Touch "Software Update."
5. If you have the update, you will see this screen, except with "iOS 7" (This is an artist's rendition that we paid a lot of money for). Make sure you are connected to reliable Wi-Fi, and will be for awhile; it's also a good idea to plug in your device and charge it for awhile, as the download can take some time and eat away at your battery.
Okay, connected to Wi-Fi and got your device plugged in? Tap "Download and Install."
6. Agree to the Terms and Conditions. If you are legal-minded, read through them first, taking care to underline important clauses.
(Via Gadget Love)
- Handheld & Connected Devices
- Technology & Electronics