Indonesia's Santoso to miss badminton world championships

AFP
Simon Santoso of Indonesia returns a shot against Du Pengyu of China during the OUE Singapore Open badminton tournament men semifinal on April 12, 2014
.

View photo

Simon Santoso of Indonesia returns a shot against Du Pengyu of China during the OUE Singapore Open badminton tournament men semifinal on April 12, 2014 (AFP Photo/Roslan Rahman)

Kuala Lumpur (AFP) - Indonesia's Simon Santoso will miss next week's badminton world championships due to dengue fever, badminton's governing body said Tuesday.

Santoso's last-minute entry into the competition to be held from August 25-31 in Copenhagen, Denmark, had been expected to pose a challenge to world number one Lee Chong Wei's quest for his maiden title.

But Santoso's bid for the men's singles crown has been frustrated as he has been hospitalised after falling ill Monday, the Badminton World Federation said in a statement.

Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease that is common in the tropics and can be fatal. Symptoms include nausea, headache and severe muscle and joint pain.

Men's doubles defending champions Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan will also miss the championships as Ahsan's lower back pain has gotten worse, the federation said.

"It's a disaster for us –- what can I say. We are leaving on Thursday morning and we have no choice (but to withdraw them). They cannot play," Bambang Roedyanto of the Badminton Association of Indonesia said.

Indonesia's defending mixed doubles pair, Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir, withdrew earlier due to Ahmad's ankle injury.

Returning from an injury lay-off, Malaysia's Lee is preparing for the championships though he is still feeling some pain in his thigh, national coach Tey Seu Bock was quoted by the New Straits Times on Tuesday as saying.

Lee missed the recent Glasgow Commonwealth Games due to the thigh injury, which has troubled the star for months.

View Comments (0)