THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The presiding judge in the U.N. trial of Gen. Ratko Mladic has delayed indefinitely the presentation of evidence that had been scheduled to start later this month due to "errors" by prosecutors in disclosing evidence to defense lawyers.
Alphons Orie said Tuesday he was delaying the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal case due to "significant disclosure errors" by prosecutors who are obliged to share all their evidence with Mladic's defense team.
He says judges are still analyzing the "scope and full impact" of the error.
He says he aims to establish a new starting date "as soon as possible."
Prosecutors already had admitted the errors and did not object to a delay in the trial. Mladic's attorney has asked for a six-month delay.
- Crime & Justice
- Politics & Government
- Ratko Mladic