Lance Armstrong Banned from Cycling for Life

The Atlantic
Lance Armstrong Banned from Cycling for Life
.

View photo

Lance Armstrong Banned from Cycling for Life

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned from cycling for life by the USADA on Thursday night, but not because of new incriminating evidence, or a scandalous confession. He was banned because he's retired and wants to stop fighting their charges. 

RELATED: Lance Armstrong Has Limited Options After Judge Tosses Suit

Armstrong gave a statement to the Associated Press on Thursday night explaining how he was going to stop fighting charges from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that he used performance enhancing drugs. Armstrong was on a deadline Thursday evening. It was the last night he could decide between further arbitration, or accepting sanctions from the USADA. His whole statement was posted to his website. Armstrong didn't admit to doping, but he said he was tired of going through the process. Armstrong described the investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt." He already beat a Department of Justice investigation earlier this year. But after his lawsuit against the USADA got thrown out, he had enough:

I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA’s charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA’s motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and – once and for all – put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair.

The AP speculated when the story first broke that the USADA "will almost certainly treat Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt, and hang the label of drug cheat on," Armstrong. It didn't take long the USADA to prove them right. About an hour after the story broke, the AP reported the USADA stripped Armstrong of his titles and banned him from cycling for life. There's no new evidence against Armstrong. He's just retired, and doesn't want to jump through their hoops anymore. A ban for life stops a cancer-surviving 40-year-old man from returning to a hyper-athletic sport. The USADA essentially played into his hand. How this affects his legacy depends on whether you believe he doped before. If you do believe he was dirty, then congratulations, I guess. If you believe he was always clean, then you'll probably continue acknowledging him as a seven-time Tour de France champion, the USADA be damned. 

Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.

    Recommended for You

    • Kim Jong Un’s Wife Makes First Public Appearance In Months

      Ri Sol Ju was last seen in public on March 28 this year and her absence had sparked rumors of pregnancy while some said she may have had a serious falling out with the North Korean leader.

      International Business Times
    • Chains and branded skin: California kidnap case baffles cops

      SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Three weeks after Sherri Papini disappeared, the question of whether she was dead or alive was answered when the young mother and wife was spotted waving frantically for help along a California freeway early on Thanksgiving morning. But the mystery over what happened to her during those 22 days just seemed to grow stranger.

      Associated Press
    • Trump targets another company, draws Sanders' criticism

      By Doina Chiacu WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President-elect Donald Trump drew a rebuke from former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders on Saturday, after turning his attention to another Indiana company planning a move to Mexico. "Rexnord of Indiana is moving to Mexico and rather viciously firing all of its 300 workers. Rexnord Corp , an industrial supplier based in Milwaukee, announced plans in October to move a bearing plant, and its 300 jobs, from Indianapolis to Mexico, employees told the Indianapolis Star at the time.

      Reuters
    • You get one last chance to buy a NES Classic Edition before Christmas

      At this point, anyone who was planning on buying their kids (and, let's be real, themselves) a NES Classic Edition as a Christmas present has probably resigned themselves to paying a strange man off Craigslist four times the asking price. The Classic is out of stock everywhere, and even though Target is drip-feeding consoles into stores, you have to get crazy lucky to actually buy one. An unlikely hero is coming to the rescue, however: Urban Outfitters, the neo-hipster skinny jeans vendor, has announced it's going to be selling the NES Classic Edition online. Page-refreshing fingers at the ready, everyone. DON'T MISS:  You should stop using that fake Apple charger The NES Classic Edition will only be sold online, with stock becoming available sometime on Tuesday, December 6th. There's no details on precise timing, but we've reached out to Urban Outfitters about this crucially important matter and will waste no time in updating if we find out more. As this is the first time the store has sold the NES Classic, there's no link that you can prepare to constantly F5-spam. Instead, I'd recommend using something like this  to ping the webpage and check if something changes. Obviously, you'll want to be online at midnight to see if the stock goes live. In case you're thinking that this level of obsession is borderline insane for a retro games console, you probably aren't aware of how popular these things are. We've seen numerous stories of customers camping outside Target at 3AM to get consoles, orders coming from international Amazon stores, and consoles selling for $4,000 on eBay. Currently, Walmart and Target are both out of stock, although more is trickling in little by little. Target has been prioritizing delivery to random physical Target stores, while Walmart has been drip-feeding inventory online.

      BGR News
    • NASA photo reveals a startling 300-foot-wide rift in Antarctic Ice Shelf

      The breakup of the massive Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica is getting closer and will eventually produce an iceberg the size of Delaware prowling the Southern Ocean, according to new NASA data.  On Friday, NASA released an astonishing new image taken by researchers flying above the ice shelf on Nov. 10 showing the crack is getting longer, deeper and wider. Scientists think it will eventually cause a large section of the shelf to break off. The scientists associated with a NASA field campaign known as Operation IceBridge measured the Larsen C fracture to be about 70 miles long, more than 300 feet wide and about a third of a mile deep.  SEE ALSO: With a collapsing West Antarctica, sea level rise may be twice as high as we thought "The crack completely cuts through the Ice Shelf but it does not go all the way across it – once it does, it will produce an iceberg roughly the size of the state of Delaware," NASA said in a press release.  View is of a rift in the Antarctic Peninsula's Larsen C ice shelf from our airborne survey of polar ice: https://t.co/VgjxopHHLI @NASA_ICE pic.twitter.com/gt5mpHqbxn — NASA (@NASA) December 3, 2016 When this iceberg calving event happens,  likely within the next decade, it will be the largest calving event in Antarctica since 2000, the third biggest such event ever recorded and the largest from this particular ice shelf, scientists say.  Larsen C lies next to a smaller ice shelf that disintegrated in 2002 after developing a crack similar to the one now growing in Larsen C. Map of Antarctica showing the amount of melting of ice shelves from below. Blue shades represent melt rates of greater than 5 meters (16.4 feet) per year. Arrow points to Larsen C Ice Shelf. Image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UC Irvine/Columbia University Ice shelves breaking off into icebergs don't directly increase sea levels, since their ice is already resting in the ocean like an ice cube in a glass.  However, because they act like doorstops to the land-based ice behind them, when the shelves give way, the glaciers can begin moving into the sea. This adds new water to the ocean and therefore increases sea levels.  The rift is likely to lead to an iceberg breaking off, which will remove about 10% of the ice shelf’s area pic.twitter.com/uu1KKWG0WP — Project MIDAS (@MIDASOnIce) August 18, 2016 In the case of Larsen C, once the rift extends all the way across the shelf and breaks off the section of ice, a larger area of ice that is about the size of Scotland will destabilize and be at greater risk for melting, according to other research. In August, a British research team monitoring the Larsen C Ice Shelf found that the rift had expanded by 14 miles between March and August of 2016. This was the fastest rate of expansion the researchers had observed. Larsen B Ice Shelf before its breakup in 2002. Image: nasa Larsen B Ice Shelf after its breakup in 2002. Image: nasa The Larsen C Ice Shelf is the most northerly of the remaining major Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves. This part of Antarctica has been warming rapidly in recent years due to a combination of increasing air and sea temperatures.  The nearby Larsen B Ice Shelf made worldwide headlines in 2002 when it broke up after a similar process of rift-induced iceberg calving. The Larsen B event was featured in the opening scenes of the sci-fi climate change-related disaster film, The Day After Tomorrow . BONUS: New Zealand's earthquake literally cracked the Earth open

      Mashable
    • Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Lamaze Class

      Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd are apparently too cool for school

      People
    • Inside Edition
    • LAPD Identifies USC Grad Student Who Killed Professor

      The faculty member was identified as Bosco Tjan.

      ABC News q
    • Philippines vice president quits cabinet, citing plot to 'steal' job

      Philippines Vice President Leni Robredo announced on Sunday she would resign from her cabinet post, citing "major differences" with President Rodrigo Duterte and suspicions that a plot was underway to unseat her from the number two job. Robredo is refusing to step down as vice president but said she decided to quit as Housing Secretary after receiving a text message from another minister, telling her on Duterte's behalf to "desist from attending all cabinet meetings" from Monday. The president and vice president are elected in separate contests in the Philippines and Robredo was not Duterte's running mate.

      Reuters
    • Inside Edition
    • Police use 'fake news' in sting aimed at California gang

      Police investigating a notorious gang in a city on California's central coast issued a fake press release that the chief credited with saving two men by deceiving gang members who wanted to kill them, ...

      Associated Press
    • The Latest: Trump's Pennsylvania lead shrinks

      HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Latest on presidential recount efforts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania (all times local):

      Associated Press
    • Colombia Plane Crash Survivor Cried Out for Crew

      He says he survived by curling up in the fetal position.

      ABC News q
    • Raids kill dozens in Syria's Idlib, army advances in Aleppo

      Suspected Russian air strikes killed at least 46 people in opposition-held parts of Syria Sunday, a monitor said, as government forces advanced in fierce clashes with rebels in east Aleppo. Syria's government is waging an offensive to recapture all of second city Aleppo, and it has so far captured more than 60 percent of eastern districts that fell to rebels in 2012. In Idlib province, in northwest Syria, at least 26 civilians were killed in suspected Russian strikes on the town of Kafr Nabel, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said.

      AFP
    • U.S. Navy aims to buy more Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets: source

      The U.S. Navy plans to divest its older model Boeing Co F/A-18 Hornet fighter jets in coming years and hopes to buy dozens of F/A-18E/F Super Hornets to deal with a shortfall of strike fighters aboard its carriers, a Navy official said. "To decrease the strike fighter shortfall and to best prepare future air wings for likely threats we will soon divest from legacy Hornets, look to buy several squadrons worth of Super Hornets and continue with efforts to bring on the F-35 carrier variant," said the official. Sources familiar with Navy plans say delays in the fielding of the carrier variant of the Lockheed Martin Corp F-35 fighter jet, longer-than-expected maintenance times for older model Hornets, and higher usage rates have left the Navy facing a shortfall of about 70 fighter jets in coming years.

      Reuters
    • Abandoned lunatic asylum (14 photos)

      These creepy snapshots of an eerie abandoned asylum will send a shiver down your spine. The old building, a former lunatic asylum in Columbia, South Carolina, opened in 1821, and was used to house traumatized veterans from the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865. But the hospital is now in ruins after it was left to crumble – the insides have been stripped bare, with nothing left but peeling paintwork and gratified walls. These eerie pictures were taken by urban explorer Bullet, who risked life and limb to explore the old hospital. (Caters News) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Tumblr.  

      Yahoo News Photo Staff
    • Correction: Campus Stabbing-California story

      LOS ANGELES (AP) — In a story Dec. 3 about the fatal stabbing of a professor, The Associated Press misidentified the professor's school in the first paragraph in some versions. The professor was from the University of Southern California, not the University of California.

      Associated Press
    • S. Korea crisis proves perils of cheating at school

      When South Korea's Park Geun-Hye looks back on the scandal-fuelled implosion of her presidency, she may reflect ruefully on what lit the first fuse -- a parent pulling strings over a child's education. Park's downfall was the result of her friendship with Choi Soon-Sil -- a secretive, long-time confidante who stands accused of meddling in state affairs, squeezing tens of millions of dollars from local companies and amassing a fortune by leveraging her ties to the president. It's a damning list of charges, but one that may never have come to light but for a fatal misstep by Choi two years ago in using her influence to secure her daughter's admission to an elite university.

      AFP
    • The New Mercedes Benz E-Class Shows Off New Tech

      This video shows off Merc's recent advances in self driving and interior luxuries (what else?).

      The Drive
    • NYPD: Men yelled 'Donald Trump', tried to pull off victim's hijab on subway

      18-year-old Yasmine Seweid is recounting the ugly attack that happened on Thursday night. It was around 10 p.m. when the college student jumped on the 6 train to head home to New Hyde Park, when she noticed three young men in the car.

      WABC – NY