NEW YORK (AP) — The lawyer for a stuntwoman suing Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. over alleged phone hacking said Tuesday that other people have reached out to his team with their own claims.
The attorney, Norman Siegel, told the media in New York that his legal team is researching "a bunch" of allegations from people in the United Kingdom and the United States.
Those claims are in addition to the lawsuit filed earlier this month in Los Angeles by Eunice Huthart, who has worked as a stunt double for Angelina Jolie. Her lawsuit claims she was a victim of phone hacking attempts to get information about the actress.
Huthart, of Liverpool, England, is the first person to sue the media company in the U.S.
News Corp. has declined comment on the lawsuit.
In her lawsuit, Huthart claims her phone was hacked beginning in 2004 while she was living in Los Angeles and working on Jolie's film "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."
Huthart, who became a close friend of Jolie and is the godmother to her first biological child, said she was unaware that she was a victim of the phone hackers until British police came to see her last year.
Her lawsuit said she had complained to her phone company at the time about missing voicemail messages that contacts said they had left for her but that she said she never heard.
News Corp. has spent $388 million in settlements, legal fees and other costs associated with ongoing investigations in the U.K. since the hacking scandal came to light in 2011. Last year, the company settled 36 lawsuits by hacking victims including actor Jude Law and soccer player Ashley Cole.
- Company Legal & Law Matters
- Crime & Justice
- Angelina Jolie
- Eunice Huthart
- phone hacking