Nerd Pride Day or Geek Pride Day
Dig in that bottom drawer, move the files and take out your geek flag, it's time to fly it. Why is May 25 the coveted day of geeks, nerds and the people who love them? It's geek all around on May 25:
* May 25, 1977 is the anniversary of the release of "Star Wars." George Lucas' film was first released 35 years ago.
* May 25, 2001: Towel Day was first celebrated two weeks after the death of Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Carry a towel and let the world see it.
* The Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May is found in Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" fantasy novels
National Missing Children's Day
2,300. That's how many children go missing each day, according to Child Find of America. National Missing Children's Day is a national "observance promoting awareness of the problem of missing children, to offer a forum for change, and to offer safety information for children in school and the community." The majority of child abductions are perpetrated by non-custodial parents or family members.
Preventive measures suggested by Child Find of America:
* "Keep your child in sight at all times. Most abductions occur within a few blocks of the victim's home - even their own front yard - when the child is left alone and unsupervised."
* "Teach your child that it is okay to run away and scream if someone is making them do something they don't want to do."
* "Tell your child about the abduction problem in a calm, simple way as if teaching any other important coping skill."
National Tap Dance Day
If the chicken dance can have its own day, doesn't the art of tap deserve a holiday too? National Tap Dance Day celebrates the art of tap dancing. Famous tap dancer and actor Bill "Bojangles" Robinson was born on May 25, 1878. Tap is considered one of America's art forms.
Professor of Dance, Constance Valis Hill, says "tap was long considered 'a man's game' and thinks "tap became identified as a male form early on because of the competitiveness that originated in jigging competitions held on slave plantations." (Hampshire College)
Brown Bag It Day
Friday can be the hardest day of the week to pack your lunch. It might be pay day or a casual day at the office. Skip the urge to join your colleagues for some take out and pack a delicious lunch to take to work. If you normally pack a diet-like lunch, pack yourself a more satisfying lunch. Don't forget to pack a sweet treat so you can skip the vending machine trip in the mid-afternoon. Consider homemade cookies or muffins. By packing your lunch you'll have more time to enjoy your lunch break.
Fun ways to brown bag it:
* Buy a Bento box and make yourself creative lunches
* Bring breakfast for lunch, most breakfast foods will reheat in the microwave
* Make it a picnic and eat outdoors with friends.
- Society & Culture
- National Tap Dance Day