According to Clout Street, on Friday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel spoke about the recent spike of violence in the city and called on residents to assist police in helping to make communities safer. The statement comes a day after visiting a church in Chatham close to the site of a recent shooting. In addition, the Chicago Police Department is working on the launch of a new "citywide anti-gang strategy" to combat the growing problem of gang violence in numerous areas of the cities.
Here are some facts on the recent violence in the Windy City:
* The Huffington Post reported last weekend will go down as one of the most violent weekends in Chicago history with at least 10 lives being claimed by violence in addition to 40 others being wounded.
* Many of the shootings are being attributed to gang violence, with many of the victims having no gang connections.
* On Monday, suspect Paris Sadler allegedly shot Chicago Police Officer Del Pearson in the chest during a chase down an alley, according to WLS.
* Pearson survived but is in serious condition and Sadler has been charged with attempted first-degree murder for shooting the officer.
* CBS Local reported 6-year-old Aliyah Shell was gunned down and killed by two alleged gang members on the front porch of her Little Village home last weekend.
* Luis Hernandez, 16, and Juan Barraza, 18, have been charged with one count of murder and two counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm in Shell's death.
* Two men were injured in a drive-by shooting in the Morgan Park neighborhood on Wednesday night after a dark-colored van passed by and a passenger starting shooting, according to WGN.
* One of the men was shot in the chest as is in serious condition while the other man was hit in the back and is currently in stable condition.
* The Chicago Sun-Times added 24-year-old Adrian Cruz was shot multiple times and ultimately died from his wounds last Saturday night in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood.
* Similarly, on the same night, Joel Sanroman, 42, was shot in the head while he was driving through Gage Park in his car.
* On Thursday night, Chicago Police shot a man carrying a sawed-off shotgun who was reportedly threatening officers on the Far South Side of the city, noted Fox News Chicago.
Rachel Bogart provides an in-depth look at current environmental issues and local Chicago news stories. As a college student from the Chicago suburbs pursuing two science degrees, she applies her knowledge and passion to both topics to garner further public awareness.
- Chicago Police Department